1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus question on showing the area of a surface is infinite

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1

ppy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S be the surface z = 1/(x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex], 1 ≤ z < ∞.
    Show that the area of S is infinite.

2. Relevant equations
    the surface S is given by z=f(x,y) with f(x,y)=1/(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] and for x,y in the disk D which is the circle seen when the surface is viewed from the top given by x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]≤ 1 z=0. Then the surface area of S is ∫∫[itex]_{S}[/itex]dS=∫∫[itex]_{D}[/itex](1+(∂f/∂x)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(∂f/∂y)[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex]dxdy. Where has the last line come from. an explanation would be great as I cannot see where this is coming from. This is an example I have found. I am only stuck on this line.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

ppy

its sorted no worries :)

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

If you're referring to the square root factor it comes from differential surface element's area.

Check the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_integral

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted