1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus - Use of Identities

1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By using a suitable vector identity for ∇ × (φA), where φ(r) is a scalar field and A(r) is a vector field, show that
    1. ∇ × (φ∇φ) = 0,
      where φ(r) is any scalar field.

2. Relevant equations

∇×(φA) = (∇φ)×A+φ(∇×A)?

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have no idea how to even start this one. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can apply the relevant equation to the expression you are asked to evaluate.

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3
    Hi mfb, thank you for your reply. That is what I tried to do before but thought I must have been doing it wrong as i ended up with something that didn't cancel.

Okay so can I assume A = ∇φ
    and the identity is ∇×(φA) = (∇φ)×A+φ(∇×A)

and follow that through like this:?

∇ x (φ∇φ) = ∇φ x ∇φ + φ∇ x ∇φ

I feel as if there is another identity that I must need to complete the question but have searched through my notes and online and can't find anything. Does ∇φ x ∇φ = -(φ∇ x ∇φ) in some way?

5. Jan 11, 2015 #4
    I've just had a thought. Are you able to say

A = ∇φ and therefore -A = φ∇

Allowing us to complete the question like this.

∇ x (φ∇φ) = (A x A) + (-A x A)
    ∇ x (φ∇φ) = (A x A) - (A x A)
    = 0

6. Jan 11, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

So you had an idea where to start, and even a start. Why didn't you write that down? Then it would have been possible to see what went wrong.

I would probably add brackets to make it more clear: (∇φ) x (∇φ) + φ(∇ x ∇φ)
    What is the cross-product of something with itself?

No. The right equation is not even well-defined.

7. Jan 11, 2015 #6
    Sorry mfb, I thought my working was complete rubbish and irrelevant so didn't want to embarrass myself on here.

I think I understand now, I didn't realise that you can put a set of bracket in like that. And the cross product of something with itself is zero. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted