Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Vector capable calculator recommendations?

Tags:
  1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    I'm taking a vector analysis course this semester and would like a vector capable calculator.

For calculus I have been using a TI-83.

Any recommendations? Price not an issue, but as always its better to get the job done for less.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2
    I've never come across a calculator that can do vector analysis on it's own..
    I think vector calculus is the point where you need to start backing away from calculators and rely on pen on paper manipulation or mammoths like matlab and mathematica.

I could be wrong though

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    Just quick dot products and vector addition and the like to cut down the time on working problems and reducing possibility for careless errors.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4
    If you're just doing stuff like that I'm pretty sure it would be quicker doing it by hand or doing each operation individually on a standard calculator than typing two whole vectors into a calculator.

6. Aug 1, 2012 #5
    A wonder they make them at all...

Does anyone have recommendations for a vector capable calculator?

7. Aug 7, 2012 #6
    There's no reason to use a calculator for a lot of that stuff, except for like 4 function and trig stuff. Honestly, A scientific calculator is all you really need. Graphing is nice, has a bunch of cool stuffs, but not necessary.

8. Aug 21, 2012 #7
    Just use your TI-83. Dot products and cross products can both be expressed by matrices, which is included in the TI-83. Alternatively, you can write a program that just spits out your desired numbers.

9. Aug 24, 2012 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?