1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector distance and angle question

1. Sep 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Instructions for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 65.0 paces at 249deg, turn to 134deg and walk 134 paces, then travel 101 paces at 168deg. The angles are measured counterclockwise from an axis pointing to the east, the +x direction. Determine the resultant displacement from the starting point. Enter the distance (without units) and the angle relative to the positive x-axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the resultant displacement, I got R=sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2)= sqrt(65^2+249^2+134^2)=179.94
    For the angle, I honestly don't have any clue...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2
    On what basis do you think that your equation gives the correct displacement?

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3
    I am not too sure...
    Maybe this equation is for distance. Could you please tell me what is the correct method for solving this question?

5. Sep 12, 2016 #4
    1. Have you drawn a diagram? If so, let's see it.
    2. Do you know how to resolve a vector into its x and y components?

6. Sep 12, 2016 #5
    Here is a rough diagram that I drawn.
    I know how to resolve vector into x and y components.

Attached Files:

7. Sep 12, 2016 #6
    Very nice. Now what are the x and y components of each of the three successive displacement vectors?

8. Sep 12, 2016 #7
    Is the displacement the sum of x components vector???

9. Sep 12, 2016 #8
    Ah, well there's your problem. Could you cut and paste the vanilla equations from the textbook, that you think should be applied to the specifics of the problem, into that big blank section ? Maybe annotate with what they are.

Nice diagram: you clearly understand the parameters as given (except that last angle thing, which arc is drawn from the y-axis instead of the x... but the line is pointed in the right direction)

10. Sep 13, 2016 #9
    The total displacement is the magnitude of the vector drawn from the origin to the tip of the final (3rd) vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted