Vector equations, possible to solve for x?

• Thread starter Jonsson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, Scalar algebra and vector algebra both involve solving for variables using equations. In scalar algebra, solving for variables is useful when dealing with equations like Ohm's law, while in vector algebra, solving for variables can also be done using cross and dot products. However, solving for vectors in vector equations can result in an infinite number of solutions, making it more complex than solving for scalar variables. Additionally, the operation of multiplying both sides of an equation by a vector is not reversible, making it difficult to find a unique solution.
Jonsson
Hello there,

In scalar algebra, I find solving for variables a useful tool. Say ohms law, I want to find ##R## so:

$$
U=RI \iff R = \frac{U}{I}
$$

Can I do something analogous in vector equations? I.e. May I solve for ##\vec{\omega}## in equations using cross or dot products?

$$
\vec{v} = \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} \iff \vec{\omega} = ?
$$

or:

$$
\vec{\alpha} \cdot \vec{\beta} = \gamma \iff \vec{\beta} = ?
$$

It would be fantastic if I could solve for vectors in some way.

Hope you are able to help.

Thank you for your time!

Kind regards,
Marius

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Solving v=wxr makes sense, since this can be seen as solving 3 equations with 3 unknowns (each components).
You can find the solution easily by "multiplying" both sides by r: rxv = rx(wxr) = w (r.r) - r (w.r) .

Solving a.b=c makes less sense, since this can be seen as solving 1 equation with three unknowns.
Actually there is an infinite number of solutions to this equation.
If you have one solution b=bo, then you can add any vector b1 such that a.b1=0 to this solution, and you will get another solution b = bo+b1. Any b1 just need to be perpendicular to a.

maajdl said:
Solving v=wxr makes sense, since this can be seen as solving 3 equations with 3 unknowns (each components).
What exactly do you mean by three equations?

With V=W X R you end up with three equations corresponding to the three components of V.
With v=W o R you end up with one equation because v is a scalar, and three unknowns for W.

maajdl said:
You can find the solution easily by "multiplying" both sides by r: rxv = rx(wxr) = w (r.r) - r (w.r) .
That's one solution. There are infinitely many others.

Given any solution w for v = w cross r and any scalar k then w + kr is another solution.

I want to learn about this topic in vector algebra.

1. What is the topic called?

2. Is this correct? And how then do I solve for ##\vec{\omega}##?

$$
\vec{v} = \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} \iff \vec{r} \times \vec{v} = \vec{r} \times (\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}) = \vec{\omega} (\vec{r}^2) - \vec{r}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{\omega})
$$
Now what?

3. Does it hold for compex vectors?

Thanks.M

Jonsson said:
I want to learn about this topic in vector algebra.

1. What is the topic called?

$$
\vec{v} = \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} \iff \vec{r} \times \vec{v} = \vec{r} \times (\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}) = \vec{\omega} (\vec{r}^2) - \vec{r}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{\omega})
$$
Now what?

3. Does it hold for compex vectors?

Thanks.M

You have a linear equation for the components of w there.

Jonsson said:

$$
$$

The above is false. The implication is unidirectional, not bidirectional. The operation of multiplying both sides by r is not reversible.

The reason it's not reversible is that you can't uniquely divide by r. Since the purpose of the exercise was to demonstrate that you can uniquely divide by r, asserting that you can divide by r would amount to a circular argument.

And, you have the difficulty that the solutions will seldom be unique. As obvious example if [itex]\vec{a}\times\vec{x}= \vec{0}[/itex] or [itex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{x}= 0[/itex], [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] can be any vector perpendicular to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex]

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is a mathematical representation of a relationship between vectors. It typically involves using variables and mathematical operations to express the relationship.

2. Can vector equations be solved for x?

Yes, it is possible to solve for x in a vector equation. However, the approach for solving will depend on the specific equation and variables involved.

3. What are the steps for solving a vector equation for x?

The steps for solving a vector equation for x may vary, but generally involve isolating x on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. Are there any limitations to solving vector equations for x?

Yes, there may be limitations to solving vector equations for x. For example, if the equation involves vectors with different dimensions, it may not be possible to solve for x.

5. How are vector equations used in science?

Vector equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to describe the relationship between different quantities and their direction. They are also used in data analysis and modeling to represent complex relationships between variables.