Lorentz Force Law Homework: Proton & Negative Stream

In summary, the 3 ways to calculate the Lorentz force are: using the original fields in the moving frame, using the relativistic force transformation pattern, and calculating all fields and force directly in the lab frame from the beginning.
Spanky200

Homework Statement

A relativistic proton is traveling next to a stream of negatively charged particles that are traveling at the same velocity as the proton. I'm to find the force on the proton by transforming the field from the negative stream to a stationary lab frame.

Homework Equations

f= q (E+(vxB))

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, when I want to apply the Lorentz force law to find the force on the particle what form of the Lorentz force law do I use? Is it just the equation I have typed up top with the transformed fields plugged in? Or is there a relativistic equation I need to use that I don't know about?

Thanks for any help. [/B]

Likes Stavros Kiri
Physics news on Phys.org
Spanky200 said:

Homework Statement

A relativistic proton is traveling next to a stream of negatively charged particles that are traveling at the same velocity as the proton. I'm to find the force on the proton by transforming the field from the negative stream to a stationary lab frame.

Homework Equations

f= q (E+(vxB))

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, when I want to apply the Lorentz force law to find the force on the particle what form of the Lorentz force law do I use? Is it just the equation I have typed up top with the transformed fields plugged in? Or is there a relativistic equation I need to use that I don't know about?

Thanks for any help. [/B]
Welcome to PF!
There are two ways:
1. Find the force with the original fields in the moving frame (v=0 thus F = qE ...) [easy], and then transform the force with the relativistic force transformation pattern (formula) [I don't know if you are familiar with it (?)].
2. Since you seem to be familiar with the fields transformations, that's the easiest way. Transform the fields to the stationary lab frame and calculate the Lorentz force with your formula.

You get the same result. I have actually done it (long time ago).

Stavros Kiri said:
Welcome to PF!
There are two ways:
1. Find the force with the original fields in the moving frame (v=0 thus F = qE ...) [easy], and then transform the force with the relativistic force transformation pattern (formula) [I don't know if you are familiar with it (?)].
2. Since you seem to be familiar with the fields transformations, that's the easiest way. Transform the fields to the stationary lab frame and calculate the Lorentz force with your formula.

You get the same result. I have actually done it (long time ago).
Thank you so much! I'm going to give it a go.

There is also a 3rd way: calculate all fields and force directly in the lab frame from the beginning.
[Edit: for that though, you need the formulas for E and B fields of moving charges (or extract those by transforming the fields - cf. 2. [equivallent]). The Lorentz force law of course still holds.]
Note: Everything is consistent, and your post has an even deeper consequence and meaning for E&M and Special Relativity (that's why I liked it and responded). I will explain later, if you think it's a good idea. But first you have to play around and see what you get.

Last edited:

1. What is the Lorentz Force Law?

The Lorentz Force Law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the force acting on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. It states that the total force (F) on a charged particle is equal to the sum of the electric force (qE) and the magnetic force (qv x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

2. How does the Lorentz Force Law apply to protons and negative streams?

The Lorentz Force Law applies to all charged particles, including protons and negative streams. When a proton or negative stream is placed in an electric and magnetic field, it will experience a force according to the Lorentz Force Law. The direction and magnitude of the force will depend on the charge, velocity, and direction of the fields.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz Force Law in physics?

The Lorentz Force Law is significant in physics because it is a fundamental equation that helps explain the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. It is used in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, particle physics, and astrophysics, to study and understand the motion of charged particles.

4. Can you provide an example of the Lorentz Force Law in action?

One example of the Lorentz Force Law in action is the motion of charged particles in a particle accelerator. In this scenario, electric and magnetic fields are used to accelerate and control the path of charged particles, such as protons, in order to study their properties and interactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Force Law?

The Lorentz Force Law has many real-world applications, including in electric motors and generators, particle accelerators, and MRI machines. It is also used in the design and operation of various electronic devices, such as cathode ray tubes and particle detectors. In addition, the Lorentz Force Law plays a crucial role in understanding phenomena such as the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of charged particles in space.