Vector field question + reasoning

Similarly for the z-component of F.In summary, the work done by the force field F = 3xyi - 2j in moving from A: (1,0,0) to D: (2,0,0) and then from D: (2,0,0) to B: (2,sqrt(3),0) is 0 because along the path from A to D, the force exerted in the x-direction is 0 due to the constant y-coordinate, and the force in the y and z directions is also 0 due to the infinitesimal displacement in those directions.
JamesGoh
Im doing some revision of vector calculus and came across the following problem

Q: Calculate the work done by the force field F = 3xyi - 2j in moving from A: (1,0,0) to D: (2,0,0) and then from D: (2,0,0) to B: (2,sqrt(3),0)

I got stuck and decided to look at the answers. In the answers (part b of q5 in the document attached), the author assumed that dy=0, and based on this, he assumed that the integral of the vector field was 0. (n.b. r = r(t) = x(t)i + y(t)j + z(t)k )

How he came to this conclusion is beyond me, so could anyone shed some light on what I am misunderstanding?

thanks

Attachments

• lineintegral.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 219
Physics news on Phys.org
JamesGoh said:
Im doing some revision of vector calculus and came across the following problem

Q: Calculate the work done by the force field F = 3xyi - 2j in moving from A: (1,0,0) to D: (2,0,0) and then from D: (2,0,0) to B: (2,sqrt(3),0)

I got stuck and decided to look at the answers. In the answers (part b of q5 in the document attached), the author assumed that dy=0, and based on this, he assumed that the integral of the vector field was 0. (n.b. r = r(t) = x(t)i + y(t)j + z(t)k )

How he came to this conclusion is beyond me, so could anyone shed some light on what I am misunderstanding?

thanks

The force F moves from point A to point D. Notice anything about the coordinates of these two points?

JamesGoh said:

(part b of q5 in the document attached), the author assumed that dy=0,

Along AD there is no change in y coordinate. Is the integration along AD what you are asking about ?

Stephen, yes integration along AD is what I am asking about. SteamKing, I did notice that there was no change in y coordinate. However, why would the curve integral be 0 (as the answers say)? It makes no sense as some force is used to move the particle from A to D so it cannot be 0?

I notice that, in your pdf attachment, the integral is specifically along the straight line from A to D and then from D to B but you do not say that in your post here. A= (1, 0, 0) and D= (2, 0, 0) so parametric equations for that line are x= t, y= 0, z= 0 with t going from 1 to 2. Alternatively, x= t+ 1, y= 0, z= 0, with t going from 0 to 1. The crucial point is that y and z are equal to 0 for any point on the line from (0, 0, 0) to (1, 0, 0) so we always have y and z constant on that line. The derivative of any constant is, of course, 0. dx= dt, dy= 0, dz= 0.
(I am puzzled why you only asked about "dy" and not about "dz"!)

JamesGoh said:
It makes no sense as some force is used to move the particle from A to D so it cannot be 0?

Assuming "i" is the vector in the x-direction, the field exerts no force in the x-direction along a line where y = 0. In practical terms, any force however small and acting for however short a distance is sufficient to give a mass some velocity in the x-direction and cause it to eventually move from A to D. Hence "the work necessary" has lower limit zero, so we say "the work necessary" is zero.

JamesGoh said:
Stephen, yes integration along AD is what I am asking about. SteamKing, I did notice that there was no change in y coordinate. However, why would the curve integral be 0 (as the answers say)? It makes no sense as some force is used to move the particle from A to D so it cannot be 0?
The x-component of F = 3xy also depends on y. Since y = 0 all along AD, then the x-component of F = 0 and the work F⋅ds also is zero.
The y-component of F is a constant and = -2, but ds = dy = 0, so the F⋅ds = 0 here as well.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector quantity to each point in space. It is used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and electric fields.

2. How is a vector field represented?

A vector field can be represented graphically using arrows, with the direction and magnitude of the arrows indicating the direction and strength of the vector at each point. It can also be represented algebraically using mathematical equations.

3. What is the difference between a scalar field and a vector field?

A scalar field assigns a scalar value (such as temperature or pressure) to each point in space, while a vector field assigns a vector value (such as velocity or force) to each point in space.

4. What is the significance of a vector field in physics?

Vector fields are used in physics to describe and analyze the behavior of physical quantities that vary in space. They are essential in understanding and predicting the motion and interactions of objects in the physical world.

5. How is a vector field used in practical applications?

Vector fields have many practical applications, such as in engineering, meteorology, and fluid dynamics. They are used to model and analyze the behavior of fluids, electromagnetic fields, and other physical systems. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic simulations of physical phenomena.