1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Help. Calc based Physics 1

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Rank from largest to smallest:
    2i+7j-4k , 3i+j-k , 7i - 2j +4k , 4i + 7j - 3k
    Explain please

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't understand how and what to look for

A receiver starts at +2i - 3j with the units being expressed in yards. i is the the right and j is downfield. The receiver goes +9.0i +12j , -6i +4.0j , +12.0i + 18j and the quarterback drops back -7.0j.
    How far must the quarterback throw the ball?
    In which direction must the quarterback throw the ball? In degrees

2. Relevant equations

I have drawn it and the 2 answers I came up with are 41 and 38 yards. Neither are right. I don't know how to find the angle.

Ax = +5.7 Bx = -9.8
    Ay = -3.6 By = -6.5

The magnitude of the vector difference , is closest to:

I have tried 5 and -5 and right now looking at my paper I forgot the equation I used but it must have been wrong

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Q1. These are vectors. Vectors have magnitudes and directions. On what basis do you think they should be arranged?

Q2. Vector displacement of ball = Recvr's posn vector - Qbacks's posn vector. How do you find the magnitude and angle with the, say x-axis, of a Cartesian vector?

Q3. Vector A = Axi + Ayj etc. Subtract and find the magnitude of the resulting vector.

4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    Q1. [tex]|v| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex] It's fairly easy to prove if you don't believe me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?