Vector jerk is the 3 derivative?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the jerk for a 12.0 kg mass moving in the x-y plane. The position of the mass is given by r(t) = (5.00t^2x + 12.5t^3y) meters, where x and y represent unit vectors. The third derivative of this equation gives the jerk, which is 74 m/s^3 in the y direction. Pythagoras' theorem can also be used to find the jerk magnitude as 75 m/s^3. The answer should be given in unit vector form, J = 75y_hat. The conversation also briefly mentions a probability problem and a new physics problem involving two blocks and a pulley on an incl
XwakeriderX

Homework Statement

r(t)=(5.00t2x + 12.5t3y meters
The position r of a 12.0 kg mass, moving in the x-y plane

Homework Equations

Third derivative...
sqrt(x2+y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it correct to just take the third derivative and plug in 12 kg and find the magnitude and that would be a jerk?

Physics news on Phys.org
X*.*X: No.
Now first off, those x and y variables are actually x_hat and y_hat unit vectors (usually denoted as i and j unit vectors). It means the position of the mass is at any time t is 5t^2 meters in the x direction and 12.5t^3 meters in the y direction. Were you not paying attention last time in your very first post to this forum??:wink: The third derivative is the rate of change with acceleration with respect to time (affectionately called a jerk). What's mass got to do with it?

i was!
So i can't do this?!
r(t)=(5.00t^2x + 12.5t^3y)dt

r(t)=10t +37t^2 --> velocity m/s 1st derivative

r(t)=10 +74t ---> Acceleration m/s^2 2nd derivative

r(t)=74 ----> Jerk m/s^3

okay ha now I am lost so is the answer 74 m/s^3 orrr

sqrt(74 + 0)

XwakeriderX said:
i was!
So i can't do this?!
r(t)=(5.00t^2x + 12.5t^3y)
note my correction, where the bold letters represent unit vectors
r'(t)=10tx +37t^2y --> velocity m/s 1st derivative
yes, and note bold unit vectors
r''(t)=10x +74ty ---> Acceleration m/s^2 2nd derivative
yes
r'''(t)=74 y----> Jerk m/s^3
, yes, in what direction??
okay ha now I am lost so is the answer 74 m/s^3 orrr

sqrt(74 + 0)
Scratch that last answer, please. Say, if the Sox beat the Yanks 6 straight, we got a chance! Are you any good at Probabilities?

Hmm so the final answer "in unit vector form" is 74y_^ m/s^3

I'd say I am decent :P havnt taken stats though but i do believe in getting lucky!

XwakeriderX said:
Hmm so the final answer "in unit vector form" is 74y_^ m/s^3

I'd say I am decent :P havnt taken stats though but i do believe in getting lucky!

Yes correct! And now I see what you were trying to do with that square root thing, using Pythagorus as your guide...but its jerk = square root of (0^2 + 74^2), or jerk = 74m/s^3 in y direction, same result!
Excellent, my friend!

edit: oops, math error, 12.5 x 3 =37.5, so the answer for jerk magnitide is 75, not 74, no biggy.

Last edited:
ah yeah i was rushing :p Thanks again! Still trying to figure out how to actually write down my answer

Answer box is given J=_______________ m/s3

J=_____75y__________ m/s3

Since J is in the y direction, you'd have to give the answer in unit vector form, J =75y_hat...I don't know how the answer box handles vector notation...probably in the same way x and y was noted in the original equation for r.

Yeah its 75y_hat, that's how things are displayed in my notes! awesome once again you save the day! Now on to 2 blocks 1 pulley on an incline problem! ha this should only take me a few hours!

What is vector jerk?

Vector jerk is the rate of change of acceleration over time. It is the third derivative of position with respect to time.

Why is vector jerk important?

Vector jerk is important because it describes the change in acceleration over time, which can affect the motion and stability of objects. It is also used in the study of dynamics and kinematics.

How is vector jerk calculated?

Vector jerk is calculated by taking the third derivative of the position vector with respect to time. This can be done using calculus or numerical methods.

Can vector jerk be negative?

Yes, vector jerk can be negative. This means that the acceleration is decreasing over time, which can result in deceleration or a change in direction.

What are some real-world examples of vector jerk?

Some real-world examples of vector jerk include the movement of a roller coaster, the acceleration of a car during a sharp turn, and the swing of a pendulum. It can also be observed in sports like figure skating and skateboarding.