Vector Plane, Calculating Windspeed Question?

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the windspeed and direction of a plane aided by wind. The participants used diagrams and equations to determine a windspeed of 139.9 km/h and a wind angle of 77.5 degrees east of north. The conversation also acknowledged the possibility of a 87.5 degree angle for the wind direction.
Stanc

Homework Statement

A plane initially flies south at a velocity of 480 km/h. Aided by a wind, the groundspeed is 528 kmh at 15 degrees east of south.

Calculate the windspeed and the direction of it

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the magnitude of 139.9 km/h but for the angle I Don't know if the angle is down below the horizontal or above the horizontal.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know which way you're measuring the angle. Pls post your working.

Yes, Like this

Untitled2_zps2b530c29.png

ok, that's a diagram, but somehow you calculated a speed. Presumably you created an unknown for an angle (which angle?) and wrote down some equations. pls share.

haruspex said:
ok, that's a diagram, but somehow you calculated a speed. Presumably you created an unknown for an angle (which angle?) and wrote down some equations. pls share.

Ok I did cos law: Wind = √ (528)^2 + (480)^2 - 2(528)(480)cos15 = 139.9

Ok, so pick an angle in the diagram that you want to compute and write down an equation involving it and known distances.

haruspex said:
Ok, so pick an angle in the diagram that you want to compute and write down an equation involving it and known distances.

I used the sine law: sintheta/528 = sin15/139.9 = 77.53 degrees... So the picture where the wind goes up?

Ok, so you are measuring the wind angle as E of N, and you get 77.5 degrees. Seems reasonable.

Well, the longest side of the vector triangle is 528 m, so the greatest angle has to be opposite to it. If one angle is 15° and the other is 77.5°, the third angle is 87.5°: the greatest angle in the triangle, and it is opposite to the side of middle length. So choose 180-77.5 as the angle of the wind.

ehild

1. What is a vector plane?

A vector plane is a representation of a two-dimensional space used to analyze the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object.

2. How is wind speed calculated using a vector plane?

Wind speed can be calculated by using the vector addition of the wind's velocity and the aircraft's velocity. The resulting vector represents the total velocity of the aircraft relative to the ground.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of wind speed calculations using a vector plane?

The accuracy of wind speed calculations using a vector plane can be affected by the precision of measurement tools, the stability of the aircraft, and the presence of other external forces such as turbulence.

4. Can a vector plane be used to calculate wind speed in any direction?

Yes, a vector plane can be used to calculate wind speed in any direction as long as the wind's velocity and the aircraft's velocity are known.

5. How is a vector plane used in meteorology?

In meteorology, a vector plane is used to analyze the movement and strength of atmospheric forces such as wind, pressure, and temperature. It helps meteorologists make weather predictions and understand weather patterns.