Vector Question - u = u1+u2 where u1 is parallel

In summary, the problem asks to find numbers a and b such that u = av + bw, where u = i - 2j, v = 2i + 3j, and w = i + j. This involves solving two equations in two unknowns. So far, the poster has not had success with this problem and is requesting assistance.
EternusVia

Homework Statement

Let u = i - 2j, v = 2i + 3j, and w = i + j. Write u = u1 + u2 where u1 is parallel to v and u2 is parallel to w. (See question 41.)

Homework Equations

Properties of vectors. Question 41: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090923151849AARqpWR

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't had much of an attempt at this because I don't how to determine analytically if a vector is parallel to another vector. Through google I found that a vector A is parallel to a vector B if their dot product, A dot B, equals 0. But this question comes immediately before the Dot Product section of my calculus textbook, so I'm assuming there's a way to figure it out using other methods.

I'd appreciate any advice pointing me towards the right v/|v|... (get it?)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
EternusVia said:

Homework Statement

Let u = i - 2j, v = 2i + 3j, and w = i + j. Write u = u1 + u2 where u1 is parallel to v and u2 is parallel to w. (See question 41.)

Homework Equations

Properties of vectors. Question 41: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090923151849AARqpWR

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't had much of an attempt at this because I don't how to determine analytically if a vector is parallel to another vector.

The easy test for parallel is one vector is a multiple of the other.

Through google I found that a vector A is parallel to a vector B if their dot product, A dot B, equals 0.

No, that is the test for two vectors to be perpendicular.

But this question comes immediately before the Dot Product section of my calculus textbook, so I'm assuming there's a way to figure it out using other methods.

I'd appreciate any advice pointing me towards the right v/|v|... (get it?)

Thanks

LCKurtz said:
No, that is the test for two vectors to be perpendicular.

You're correct. I meant to say that if the cross product equals 0, then they are parallel. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ParallelVectors.html

But onto what you said. So a vector A is parallel to a vector B if, say, A = i + j and B = 2i + 2j?

Thanks

EternusVia said:
So a vector A is parallel to a vector B if, say, A = i + j and B = 2i + 2j?

Yes, a vector A is parallel with vector B if B=kA , with k a scalar.

ehild

Basically this problem asks you to find numbers, a and b, such that u= av+ bw. That is, such that
1- 2j= a(2i+ 3j)+ b(i+ j). You have to solve two equations in two unknowns.

Much to my chagrin I haven't had any luck with this problem. Would someone be able to give a brief work through or perhaps continue leading me in the right direction? It's probably so easy that a small hint would almost give the problem away...

Thanks

HallsOfIvy said:
Basically this problem asks you to find numbers, a and b, such that u= av+ bw. That is, such that
i- 2j= a(2i+ 3j)+ b(i+ j). You have to solve two equations in two unknowns.

EternusVia said:
Much to my chagrin I haven't had any luck with this problem. Would someone be able to give a brief work through or perhaps continue leading me in the right direction? It's probably so easy that a small hint would almost give the problem away...

Thanks

Show us what happened when you tried HallsOfIvy's suggestion in post #5.

Last edited:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What does it mean for a vector to be parallel?

Two vectors are parallel if they have the same direction or are in the exact opposite direction. This means that they have the same or opposite slopes if represented graphically. In other words, they are either pointing in the same direction or directly opposite each other.

3. How do you find the sum of two vectors?

To find the sum of two vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The new vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

4. Can you explain the notation u = u1+u2?

The notation u = u1+u2 means that vector u is equal to the sum of vectors u1 and u2. This means that the direction and magnitude of vector u is the same as the sum of the direction and magnitude of vectors u1 and u2.

5. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical object that has only magnitude (size) and no direction. Examples of scalars are temperature, mass, and speed. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction. Examples of vectors are displacement, velocity, and force.