Proving Subset and Subspace Properties | V is a Subspace of Rn

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, The conversation discusses the definition of a subspace and the requirement for it to contain the zero vector. The attempt at a solution includes showing that a set of vectors in a subspace must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication. The person seeking clarification mentions using this practice question to better understand the concept. The expert suggests picking a more substantial practice question.
negation

Homework Statement

Show that if V is a subspace of R n, then V must contain the zero vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

If a set V of vectors is a subspace of Rn, then, V must contain the zero vector, must be closed under addition, and, closed under scalar multiplication.

Let u = (u1,u2,u3...un), Let w = (w1,w2,w3...wn) and k scalar is a real number.

for ku = (0,0,0,...0n), k = 0 (is this a valid?)

for u+w = 0, (u1+w1, u2+w2,u3+w3...un+wn) = (0,0,0,...0n)

i.e., u1+w1 = 0, then u1=-w1
if u1 = 1,then w1=-1 (is this valid?)

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

Show that if V is a subspace of R n, then V must contain the zero vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

If a set V of vectors is a subspace of Rn, then, V must contain the zero vector, must be closed under addition, and, closed under scalar multiplication.

Let u = (u1,u2,u3...un), Let w = (w1,w2,w3...wn) and k scalar is a real number.

for ku = (0,0,0,...0n), k = 0 (is this a valid?)

for u+w = 0, (u1+w1, u2+w2,u3+w3...un+wn) = (0,0,0,...0n)

i.e., u1+w1 = 0, then u1=-w1
if u1 = 1,then w1=-1 (is this valid?)

If your definition of V being a 'subspace' includes that V contains the zero vector, then there's not much to show. Is there?

Dick said:
If your definition of V being a 'subspace' includes that V contains the zero vector, then there's not much to show. Is there?

Well, yea. But I thought it was a good way for the practice question to brush up my conceptual understanding of subspace. It's pretty nebulous at the moment.

negation said:
Well, yea. But I thought it was a good way for the practice question to brush up my conceptual understanding of subspace. It's pretty nebulous at the moment.

Ok. But you might want to pick a little more substantial practice question.

Dick said:
Ok. But you might want to pick a little more substantial practice question.

Looking forward to doing so.

1. What is the definition of a subset?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set. In other words, all the elements in the original set are also present in the subset.

2. How do you prove that V is a subspace of Rn?

To prove that V is a subspace of Rn, you must show that it satisfies three properties: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This means that for any two vectors in V, their sum must also be in V, and for any vector in V, multiplying it by a scalar must result in a vector still in V.

3. What is the difference between a subset and a subspace?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set, while a subspace is a subset that also satisfies the three properties mentioned above. In other words, a subspace is a special type of subset that has additional properties.

4. Can a subspace be a proper subset of another subspace?

Yes, a subspace can be a proper subset of another subspace. This means that it contains fewer elements than the other subspace, but it still satisfies the three properties mentioned above.

5. How do you determine if a set of vectors is a subspace of Rn?

To determine if a set of vectors is a subspace of Rn, you must check if it satisfies the three properties mentioned above. If it does, then it is a subspace. If it does not, then it is not a subspace.