Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Rotation About Arbitrary Axis

1. Dec 11, 2015 #1
    I am new to this forum. I was reading this document :
    http://math.kennesaw.edu/~plaval/math4490/rotgen.pdf

Here the author says that from this figure
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/KBw9l.png

that we can express $v_{\perp}$ like this :
    $$T (v_{\perp}) = \cos(\theta) v_{\perp} + \sin(\theta) w$$

I don't understand this part. Can anybody explain how $$T(v_{\perp}) $$ is $$\cos(\theta) v_{\perp} + \sin(\theta) w$$?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2015 #2
  4. Dec 12, 2015 #3

Erland

Science Advisor

Isn't this obvious from the figure? I see no problem at all.

Although what should be a circle looks like an ellipse in the figure I see on my computer. Could be something wrong with the graphics the author used. Anyway, if you also see an ellipse, think of it as a circle!

5. Dec 12, 2015 #4
    Why we are experessing the Vector as addition of cos(θ)v⊥ and sin(θ)w ? Is it the result of 2 vector addition like Vab = Va + Vb?

6. Dec 12, 2015 #5

Erland

Science Advisor

Is your question why it is correct to do this, or what is the use of doing this?

7. Dec 12, 2015 #6
    why it is correct to do this ?

8. Dec 12, 2015 #7

Erland

Science Advisor

Don't you know how to add vectors geometrically, with the parallellgram law?

Here we are studying a linear tranformation which rotates every vector in the plane perpendicular to the rotation axis by the angle ##\theta## about that axis. Then ##v_\perp## is mapped to ##T(v_\perp)## in the figure. And ##v_\perp## and ##w## are perpendicular unit vectors in this plane, so we obtain the relation stated.

9. Dec 12, 2015 #8
    Thanks now i understood. Sorry sometimes i am dumb and gets confused with simpler things.

10. Dec 12, 2015 #9

Erland

Science Advisor

No problem, you're very welcome! We all get confused sometimes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook