Vector Sets being Linearly Dependent

In summary, linear dependence is when a set of vectors has non-zero scalars that can be multiplied with the vectors to equal zero. This means that some of the scalars can be zero, but not all of them.
gpax42
I have a quick regarding a definition for linear dependence that my professor gave in class...

A set of vectors {v[tex]_{1}[/tex],v[tex]_{2}[/tex],...v[tex]_{k}[/tex]}, are considered linearly dependent provided there are scalars c[tex]_{1}[/tex],c[tex]_{2}[/tex],...c[tex]_{k}[/tex] that are not all zero, such that c[tex]_{1}[/tex]v[tex]_{1}[/tex] + c[tex]_{2}[/tex]v[tex]_{2}[/tex] + ... c[tex]_{k}[/tex]v[tex]_{k}[/tex] = 0

does this mean that none of the scalars can be zero, or that some can be zero but not all?

regard the superscripts as subscripts, my tags aren't working for some reason...thanks for any help you can offer me :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Just as they said, some can be zero, but not all.

1. What does it mean for a set of vectors to be linearly dependent?

For a set of vectors to be linearly dependent, it means that one or more vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, one or more vectors in the set are redundant and can be expressed using the other vectors.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, you can use the linear dependence test. This involves setting up a system of equations using the vectors in the set and solving for the coefficients. If there is a non-trivial solution (i.e. not all coefficients are equal to zero), then the set is linearly dependent.

3. What is the significance of having a set of vectors that is linearly dependent?

A set of vectors that is linearly dependent can provide insights into the relationships between the vectors. It can also indicate that there is redundancy in the set, which may have implications for certain calculations or algorithms that involve the vectors.

4. Can a set of vectors be linearly dependent in one dimension but linearly independent in another?

Yes, it is possible for a set of vectors to be linearly dependent in one dimension but linearly independent in another. For example, a set of three vectors in three-dimensional space may be linearly dependent, but when projected onto a two-dimensional plane, the same set of vectors may be linearly independent.

5. How can I make a linearly dependent set of vectors linearly independent?

To make a linearly dependent set of vectors linearly independent, you can remove any redundant vectors from the set. This can be done by using the linear dependence test to identify the redundant vectors and then choosing a subset of linearly independent vectors from the original set.