1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Span, Linear Independence Proof

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose v_1,v_2,v_3,...v_n are vectors such that v_1 does not equal the zero vector
    and v_2 not in span{v_1}, v_3 not in span{v_1,v_2}, v_n not in span{v_1,v_2,...v_(n-1)}
    show that v_1,v_2,v_3,....,V_n are linearly independent.

2. Relevant equations
    linear independence, span

3. The attempt at a solution
    he gave us a hint, which was to use induction
    heres what i have so far
    for the base case n=1
    v_1 does not equal 0
    so for cv_1=0, c must equal 0 making v_1 linearly independent
    then assume v_n is linearly independent to show v_(n+1) is linearly independent
    since v_n is linearly independent, then v_1,v_2,v_3,v_(n-1) are all linearly independent as well, my books states this as a remark to linear independence so i assume i can use it
    and v_(n+1) not in span{v_1,...v_n}
    therefore c_1v_1+c_2v_2+....+c_nv_n+c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=0 if either
    c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=-c_1v_1-c_2v_2-.....-c_nv_n
    or c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=0
    the former isnt true since its not in the span of all the vectors before it so then the latter must hold true

this is where i started doubting myself because then i would have to show that v_(n+1) is not zero and im unsure on how to do that, also im a beginner with proofs so im not even sure if im doing this correctly using induction

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are really close. You can say v_(n+1) is not the zero vector. The zero vector is in the span of any set of vectors. Try and restate your argument knowing that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    so can i just say since the zero vector is in the span of any set of vectors and v_(n+1) is not in the span of all the vectors before it then v_(n+1) is not the zero vector??
    if thats correct then c_(n+1) must equal zero thus showing that all the vectors are linearly independent

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's pretty much it. If c_(n+1) is nonzero then v_(n+1) is in the span, contradiction. If c_(n+1) is zero then it shows they are linearly independent. Well done. You are better at proofs than you thought.

6. Sep 30, 2012 #5
    cool thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook