Vector space and fields question

In summary: This is sufficient. You do not need to worry about the existence or non-existence of a multiplicative inverse for V.
ilyas.h

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space over the field F. The constant, a, is in F and vectors x, y in V.

(a) Show that a(x - y) = ax - ay in V .

(b) If ax = 0_V show that a = 0_F or x = 0_V .

Homework Equations

axiom 1: pv in V, if v in V and p in F.
axiom 2: v + v' in V if v, v' in V

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) x - y = x + (-y)====> (x+ (-y)) in V (axiom 2)
====> a(x + (-y)) in V (axiom 1)(b)...?

how would I start part (b)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about starting by assuming that both a and x are different from their resoective zeros and trying to find a contradiction?

Orodruin said:
How about starting by assuming that both a and x are different from their resoective zeros and trying to find a contradiction?

if they are both non-zero then they cannot bultiply together to give a zero vector i.e. either one (or both) have to be their zero's.

I feel as though I am missing something, my solution is too simple.

Yes, but why can they not multiply to zero if they are both non-zero? This is the entire question.

Orodruin said:
Yes, but why can they not multiply to zero if they are both non-zero? This is the entire question.

just looked up all the axioms from a Field and a vector space, from what I can see:

a Field doesn't have the multiplicative axiom: 0a = 0. On the other hand, a vector space does have this multiplicative axiom: 0v = 0.

(b) If ax = 0_V show that a = 0_F or x = 0_V .

ax =/= 0_F because that would assume that an element in the Field contains this specific multiplicative axiom.

ergo, ax = 0_V iff a = 0_F or x = 0_V

ilyas.h said:
Field doesn't have the multiplicative axiom: 0a = 0

Note that, while not an axiom, it is trivial to show that this is true from the distributive property of multiplication.

ilyas.h said:
ax =/= 0_F because that would assume that an element in the Field contains this specific multiplicative axiom.

I am not really sure what you are trying to argue here.

Orodruin said:
Note that, while not an axiom, it is trivial to show that this is true from the distributive property of multiplication.
I am not really sure what you are trying to argue here.

a in F. v in V. Let's refer to it as an axiom for the sake of simplicity.

since a is in the field, you cannot have 0a = 0, because this multiplicative axiom is not in any Field, given the axioms in a Field.

Therefore, ax =/= 0_F, because if x=0_V, then you have a0 = 0_F, and this is a contradiction (given the axioms in a Field).

Therefore, ax = 0_V, because a vector space can contain the axiom 0v = 0, and it holds when either a = 0_F or v = 0_V.
I could be wrong, or perhaps i didnt explain it properly.

ilyas.h said:
you cannot have 0a = 0

As I mentioned, the relation 0a = 0 is true for all fields. You have that:
(b + 0)a = (b)a = ba
But at the same time, the distributive property gives
(b + 0)a = ba + 0a
Adding the additive inverse of ba to both these relations gives
ba + (-ba) = 0 = ba + 0a + (-ba) = 0a
And therefore 0a = 0.

Orodruin said:
As I mentioned, the relation 0a = 0 is true for all fields. You have that:
(b + 0)a = (b)a = ba
But at the same time, the distributive property gives
(b + 0)a = ba + 0a
Adding the additive inverse of ba to both these relations gives
ba + (-ba) = 0 = ba + 0a + (-ba) = 0a
And therefore 0a = 0.

i misinterpreted your reply.

If that's the case, could we use the inverse?

assume a and x are non-zero's:

ax = 0_V

ax*a^-1 = 0_V * a^-1
x = 0_V

contradiction. x must equal 0_V.

on the other hand, there is no multiplicative inverse axiom within a vector subspace, therefore if

ax = 0_V

you CANNOT do:

ax*x^-1 = 0_V x^-1

i.e. you cannot eliminate the x on the LHS, ergo:

ax = 0_V (=/= 0_F), iff a = 0_F or x = 0_V

ilyas.h said:
ax*a^-1 = 0_V * a^-1
x = 0_V
This is sufficient. You do not need to worry about the existence or non-existence of a multiplicative inverse for V. You assumed the anti-hypothesis of what you wanted to prove, i.e., that both were non-zero, and arrived at a contradiction, thus proving that the anti-thesis is false, meaning that the hypothesis is true.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that is defined by a set of vectors and a set of rules for how those vectors can be added and multiplied. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to study the properties of vectors and their transformations.

What are some examples of vector spaces?

Some common examples of vector spaces include the set of all n-tuples of real numbers, the set of all polynomials of degree n or less, and the set of all continuous functions on a given interval. However, any set of objects that can be added and multiplied according to the rules of a vector space can be considered a vector space.

What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that is defined by a set of numbers and two operations, addition and multiplication. These operations must satisfy certain properties, such as commutativity and distributivity, in order for the set to be considered a field. Examples of fields include the real numbers, the complex numbers, and the rational numbers.

How are vector spaces and fields related?

Vector spaces and fields are closely related, as the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication that define a vector space are themselves operations in a field. In fact, every vector space is also a module over its associated field.

What are some applications of vector spaces and fields?

Vector spaces and fields have numerous applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. They are used to study linear transformations, solve systems of linear equations, and model physical phenomena such as forces and motion. They are also fundamental in areas such as computer graphics, machine learning, and signal processing.