1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space, basis, linear operator

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a vector space of dimension n. And the linear operators E=A^0, A^1, A^2, ... A^(n-1) are linearly independent. Prove that there exists a v in V such that V=<v, Av, A^2v, ..., A^(n-1)v>

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here are something that I tried.
    the degree of the minimal polynomials p(t) such that p(A)=0 is larger than n-1. I wanted to start the proof from here but have no idea how to proceed.
    assume V is over complex field C so that there is an eigenvector. However, it seems that this is also not the disired v to make them independent.
    Any hint? Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you using <,> to denote span? If so, then it suffices to find a v such that {v, Av, ..., An-1v} is linearly independent. Stated differently, we want to make sure that whenever k0, k1, ..., kn-1 are scalars that are not all zero, then

[tex] k_0 + k_1 Av + \cdots + k_{n-1} A^{n-1}v \neq 0[/tex].

Or, equivalently,

[tex] (k_0 + k_1 A + \cdots + k_{n-1} A^{n-1})v \neq 0 \iff v \not\in \ker(k_0 + k_1 A + \cdots + k_{n-1} A^{n-1})[/tex].

But what can you say about ker(k0+ k1 A + ... + kn-1 An-1)?

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    thanks for the hints! Here's what I think,

so k0E+k1A+...+kn-1An-1 (called [tex]B_{k_{1},k_{2},..,k_{n-1}}[/tex])cannot be the 0 operator (since E, A, ..,An-1 are linearly independent), which implies that [tex]dim(Ker\! B_{k_{1},k_{2},..,k_{n-1}}) \leq n-1[/tex]

(**) suppose we have V1, V2 as two proper sub space of V, then we can find a vector in V which is neither in V1 nor V2
    (assume we cannot, find two vectors such that [tex]x\in V_{1} \: x\notin V_{2} \: y\in V_{2} \: y\notin V_{1}[/tex] x+y will give a contration)

If we have only finitely many [tex]B_{k_{1},k_{2},..,k_{n-1}}[/tex] I can find a v such that [tex]B_{k_{1},k_{2},..,k_{n-1}}v\neq 0 \: for\,all\: B_{k_{1},k_{2},..,k_{n-1}}[/tex] according to (**). Does this remain true if there are countably many or uncountably many subspace? I've no idea...

Am I thinking right?.....

Thanks

5. Dec 5, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is your definition of "linearly independent" for linear operators?

6. Dec 5, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Presumably linear independence refers to independence in the vector space L(V) of linear operators on V.

No, but fortunately we only need to consider finitely many [itex]B_{k_{1},k_{2},..,k_{n-1}}[/itex]. Consider the irreducible factors of the minimal polynomial of T.

7. Dec 5, 2008 #6
    it's the same as other things I think...All the linear operators on V over field K forms a vector space, called L(V), and A_1,...,A_s in L(V) are linearly independent iff k_1*A_1+...k_s*A_s=0 implies k_1=...=k_s=0...

Edit:
    I'll have a look at the irreducible factors...Thanks

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  8. Dec 5, 2008 #7
    can you explain it a little more? I can not figure it out...
    Thanks

9. Dec 5, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're going to want to use the rational canonical decomposition from here.

10. Dec 5, 2008 #9
    Ah...it seems that there are lots of materials under the topic "rational canonical" that I cannot understand quite fast right now. I'll back to this question later. Anyway, Thanks a lot for your help!

11. Dec 6, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which is the same, then, as saying that if v is any non-zero vector, {A_1v, A_2v, ..., A_s v} are independent in V.

12. Dec 6, 2008 #11
    No, this is not true. if some Ai v=0, then they are not independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?