Vector spaces problem -linear algebra

In summary, the authors solve a separable equation by finding the kernel and then taking the exponential. They conclude that there exists a constant, c, such that f(t)=ce^at.
manuel325

Homework Statement

Hi guys , I have this problem ,well actually I don't understand the solution they provide , Here's the problem statement and the solution .
linear6.JPG

May someone please explain the solution to me?? Thanks so much, Sorry for my bad english

Homework Equations

1.I understand that f'-af=0 and the kernel is the space of the solutions that satisfy that equation but I don't get what they do after that...why do they divide f(t) by e^(at)?
2. why do they conclude that exists a constant c such that f(t)=ce^at??

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is this: we have the vector space of all infinitely differentiable functions, D is the differentiation operator.
a) Find the kernel of the linear operator D- I.
b) Find the kernel of the linear operator D- aI.

It is simplest to solve (b) first, then take a= 1 to solve (a).
If f is any function in the kernel of D- aI then, by definition of "kernel" we must have f'- af= 0.
That is the same as df/dx= af which is a separable equation: [tex]df/f= adx[/tex]. Integrating both sides, ln(f)= ax+ d where c is the constant of integration. Taking the exponential of both sides [itex]f(x)= e^{ax+ c}= Ce^{ax}[/itex] where [itex]C= e^c[/itex].

That is how I would have solved the problem. I suspect that your text, knowing that f must be an exponential, started from that:
[tex]\left(\frac{f(x)}{e^{ax}}\right)'= \frac{f'(x)e^{ax}- f(x)ae^{ax}}{e^{2ax}}= \frac{(f'(x)- af(x))e^{ax}}{e^{2ax}}[/tex]
by the product rule.

And, because [itex]f'(x)- af(x)= 0[/itex], the right side is 0, the derivative of [itex]f(x)/e^{ax}[/itex] is 0 so that [itex]f(x)/e^{ax}[/itex] is a constant: [itex]f(x)/e^{ax}= C[/itex] so [itex]f(x)= Ce^{ax}[/itex].

(And your English is excellent. Far better than my (put language of your choice here).

Thank you so much HallsofIvy , I understood all your explanation . It's cool to know that there's still good people who like to help others .Greetings from Chile

1. What is a vector space in linear algebra?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and two operations, vector addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, the existence of an identity element, and the existence of inverse elements.

2. What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that space. It represents the minimum number of vectors needed to span the entire vector space. For example, in a 3-dimensional space, the dimension would be 3.

3. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a vector space?

A set of vectors forms a basis for a vector space if they are linearly independent and span the entire space. This means that no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors, and any vector in the space can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors.

4. Can a vector space have an infinite number of dimensions?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of dimensions. This is often the case in function spaces, such as the space of all polynomials or the space of all continuous functions.

5. What is the difference between a vector space and a subspace?

A vector space is a set of vectors with two operations that satisfy certain properties, while a subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies these properties. In other words, a subspace is a smaller vector space contained within a larger one.