Algebra of Vectors: Find Difference & Multiply

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way of finding the difference between two vectors and the impact of a negative vector on its direction and angle. The conversation also touches on the concept of magnitudes and their relation to direction.
Sam Cepeda

Homework Statement

[/B]
REDDIT.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

hw.jpeg

[/B]
I am not sure if this is the correct way of finding the difference between two vectors. I thought that if "B" was negative then it's direction would change as well as it's angle. If the angle changes then are my calculations wrong (I used original angle)? I was also curious to know if a similar process applies when multiplying two vectors?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• REDDIT.png
    REDDIT.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 690
  • hw.jpeg
    hw.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 663
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your working is correct.
Sam Cepeda said:
if "B" was negative then it's direction would change as well as it's angle
A change of angle is a change of direction, no?
You can think of ##-\vec B## as a force of "magnitude" -B in the direction of ##\vec B##, or as a force of magnitude B swung round through 180 degrees from ##\vec B##. But don't mix the two.
Okay, I know magnitudes are always non negative, hence the quotes.

Related to Algebra of Vectors: Find Difference & Multiply

1. What is the difference between two vectors?

The difference between two vectors is a new vector that represents the direction and magnitude from the end of the first vector to the end of the second vector. It is calculated by subtracting the components of the second vector from the components of the first vector.

2. How do you find the difference between two vectors?

To find the difference between two vectors, you subtract the x-components of the second vector from the x-components of the first vector, and then do the same for the y-components. The resulting values are the components of the difference vector.

3. Can you multiply two vectors?

Yes, two vectors can be multiplied using the dot product or the cross product. The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

4. What is the purpose of algebra of vectors?

The purpose of algebra of vectors is to manipulate and perform calculations with vectors in a more efficient and organized manner. It allows for the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of vectors, which is crucial in many areas of science and engineering.

5. Is it possible to divide two vectors?

No, it is not possible to divide two vectors. Unlike scalar quantities, vectors do not have a defined division operation. However, you can divide a vector by a scalar value by dividing each component of the vector by the scalar value.