Vector spaces, Spans and Matrix Determinants

In summary, a matrix is invertible if and only if it has full rank, and the determinant is not zero for any vector in the set of vectors spanning the matrix.
ND3G
I think I have something mixed up so if someone can please point out my error.

1. the set of all linear combinations is called a span.

2. If a family of vectors is linearly independent none of them can be written as a linear combination of finitely many other vectors in the collection.

3. If the determinant of a matrix is not equal to zero the vectors are linearly independent.

Therefore, if the determinant of the matrix does not equal zero the vectors can not be written as a linear combination, hence there is no span.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only problem I see here is that a "span" is something that applies to a set of vectors, or a space. Then all of a sudden you're talking about matrices. It does not make sense in any way I can think of to talk about the "span" of a matrix-- the words are just not meaningful.

Now maybe the idea is, you want to take the basis set of vectors for some space, and create a matrix whose columns consist of those basis vectors. If this is the case then yes, the determinant would be nonzero (this is actually one way of testing whether a set of vectors form a basis), and yes, it will not be possible to represent any of the basis vectors as a linear combination of the others (since this is part of what a basis means). The span of the basis vectors meanwhile will be the entire space.

ND3G said:
1. the set of all linear combinations is called a span.

As Coin pointed out, the term "span" applies to a set of vectors, so you'll have to be a bit more precise. So, you could say that the set of all linear combinations of a set of vectors forms the span of that very set (or linear shell, as I have been tought).

Ok, to clear things up a little

Given vectors X1, X2..., X3 in R^n, a vector in the form X = t1 X1 + t2 X2 + ... tk Xk

1. the set of such linear combinations is called a span of the Xi and denoted by span{X1, X2, ...Xk}

2. If a family of vectors is linearly independent none of them can be written as a linear combination of finitely many other vectors in the collection.

3. If the determinant of a matrix is not equal to zero the vectors are linearly independent.

Therefore, if the determinant of the matrix does not equal zero the vectors can not be written as a linear combination, hence there is no span.

Now my text gives me a solution where a matrix whose columns consist of basis vectors has a determinant of -42. It also states that the vectors span R^4.

Now, if the non zero determinant means that no linear combination can be written, and with no linear combination there is no span as it is a combination of the linear combinations. So, either the vectors span R^4 or the determinant is non-zero. I can't see how it can be both.

The vectors are: {[1 3 -1 0]T, [-2 1 0 0]T, [0 2 1 -1]T, [3 6 -3 -2]T}

NF3G said:
Now, if the non zero determinant means that no linear combination can be written
No, "non zero determinant" means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. It surely does not mean "no linear combination can be written". A linear combination of a set of vectors is just a sum of numbers times those vectors. That can always be done.

Yeah, I am starting to see that.

I also found another theorem which counters what I posted before.

An nxn matrix is invertible if and only if
1) the rows are linearly independent (otherwise det = 0)*
2) the columns are linearly independent (otherwise det = 0)*
3) rows of A span R^n

So in order for the rows of A to span R^n the det must be non-zero, not the other way around.

*a matrix is not invertible if the determinant = 0*

Last edited:
ND3G said:
So in order for the rows of A to span R^n the det must be non-zero, not the other way around.

It works both ways: if det(A) is non-zero, then the rows (or columns) of A span R^n. And, conversely, if the rows (or columns) of A span R^n, then det(A) is non-zero.

ND3G said:
*a matrix is not invertible if the determinant = 0*

Right, and that one goes both ways as well: if det(A) = 0, A is not invertible.

All of which is to say that invertibility, the span covering the entire space, and non-zero determinant are all basically different ways of saying the same thing. Most people would use the expression "matrix A has full rank" to denote this property.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that is defined by a set of vectors and certain operations that can be performed on those vectors. These operations include addition and scalar multiplication, and they must satisfy certain properties such as closure, associativity, and commutativity.

2. What is the span of a set of vectors?

The span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be obtained by multiplying each vector in the set by a scalar and adding them together.

3. How do you determine if a set of vectors spans a vector space?

A set of vectors spans a vector space if every vector in that space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. This can be tested by setting up a system of linear equations and solving for the coefficients of the linear combination.

4. What is a matrix determinant?

A matrix determinant is a scalar value that is calculated from the elements of a square matrix. It is used to determine various properties of a matrix, such as invertibility and the number of solutions to a system of linear equations.

5. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix is calculated by using the cofactor expansion method, which involves breaking the matrix down into smaller matrices and calculating the determinants of those smaller matrices. The formula for calculating the determinant depends on the size of the matrix, but it can be found through various online resources or textbooks.