Vectors acting on a mass on an incline

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing and labeling the vectors that act on a mass resting on an incline, specifically mg and FN. The conversation also mentions the direction of these vectors in relation to the incline and the concept of friction. It is eventually concluded that Fg goes straight down, Fn is perpendicular to the grade, and Ff is parallel.
fgarcia08
[SOLVED] vectors acting on a mass on an incline

hey guys! well i have this lab report due tomorrow and there is one part that I'm missing. For the discussion part i have to "draw and label the vectors acting on a mass resting on an incline" you know like mg and FN and all that fun stuff but i don't really know where they go

help would be so appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
please use black text.

hey guys! well i have this lab report due tomorrow and there is one part that I'm missing. For the discussion part i have to "draw and label the vectors acting on a mass resting on an incline" you know like mg and FN and all that fun stuff but i don't really know where they go

help would be so appreciated...
there its black...

well do you know which directions Fn, Fg and Ff act in relation to the incline?

well i remember just fn goes up on the y-axis in relation to the incline and fg down but there's another one its fg cos or sin then the "o" with the line halfway through it and that's the one that i don't know where to put... do u know?

Fg actually goes straight down in relation to the object, not along the y-axis. the other vector is there, and is equal to (mu)Fn

oh okay now i get it its fG because of gravity so its straight down right? and then the (mu) Fn is the other one that i was talking about?

yes. i guess you have not learned about friction yet then?

yes i have its the one that goes opposite the umm gosh i forget the name

it is perpendicular to the normal, and parallel to the surface.

here's a hint: is the mass accelerating? what does the net force need to be?

oh okay so now i need to know what to draw for that part. and fnet needs to be the acceleration times the mass right? that sounds familiar isn't that a formula?

an object at rest has acceleration = ?

false an object at rest doesn't have acceleration because acceleration is the difference of final and initial velocity divided by time and if its at rest its not going anywhere

so there is no velocity to begin with

there is no velocity in the end either. there are only three forces, and you need to draw them in. you already said that Fg is straight down, while Fn is perpendicular to the grade and Ff is parallel.

so that's it I am done...thank you very much

What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size or amount) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

How does a vector act on a mass on an incline?

When a vector acts on a mass on an incline, it causes the mass to move in a particular direction. The direction of the vector determines the direction of the movement, while the magnitude of the vector determines the speed or force of the movement.

What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the vector?

The angle of the incline affects the magnitude and direction of the vector. The steeper the incline, the larger the component of the vector acting in the direction of the incline. The shallower the incline, the smaller the component of the vector acting in the direction of the incline.

How can we calculate the magnitude and direction of the vector acting on a mass on an incline?

To calculate the magnitude and direction of the vector acting on a mass on an incline, we can use trigonometry. We can break down the vector into its components, one acting in the direction of the incline and one acting perpendicular to the incline. The magnitude of the vector can then be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and the direction can be determined using inverse trigonometric functions.

What is the significance of vectors acting on a mass on an incline in physics?

Vectors acting on a mass on an incline are important in physics because they help us understand the motion of objects on inclined surfaces. They allow us to calculate the forces acting on the object and predict its movement. This is useful in various fields such as engineering, mechanics, and kinematics.