Vectors/ Calculus with i and j components

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to understand how to form an equation using given information about parallel motion and vector components. They have attempted to solve the problem using differentiation, but are unsure if their solution is correct. They seek further clarification and guidance.
WhiteWolf98

Homework Statement

647388fdf2980a73db9f3c48108161ff.png

I don't understand how to form an equation using the knowledge that, 'When ##t=4##, ##P## is moving parallel to the vector ##\mathbf {j}##'. I've seen the solution, and not a single part of it makes sense. I haven't attempted any question like this before, so I have no idea where to even start.

What I do know is how the whole integration/ differentiation process works to get between displacement, velocity and acceleration. That's only with normal equations though, not ##\mathbf {i}## and ##\mathbf {j}## components. So, I don't see any of what I do know already helping me here. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 647388fdf2980a73db9f3c48108161ff.png
    647388fdf2980a73db9f3c48108161ff.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 2,276
Physics news on Phys.org
WhiteWolf98 said:
how to form an equation using the knowledge that, 'When t=4, P is moving parallel to the vector ##\mathbf {j}##.
Can you write down the velocity vector? The i and j do not really create any complication for that. Just treat them as unknown constants.

Would I have to differentiate the position vector...?

WhiteWolf98 said:
Would I have to differentiate the position vector...?
Yes.

I got: $$v=(\frac 1 2t^3-4\lambda t) \mathbf i + (10t-\lambda) \mathbf j$$

Uh, I don't think that this question can be solved so I'm going to close it; I don't believe that I have the ability yet. Thanks for the help anyway

WhiteWolf98 said:
I got: $$v=(\frac 1 2t^3-4\lambda t) \mathbf i + (10t-\lambda) \mathbf j$$
Good.
Next, you need the condition for this velocity vector to be parallel to j. That's easy: it just means the i factor is zero.

1. What are vectors in calculus?

Vectors in calculus are mathematical objects that have magnitude and direction. They are often represented as arrows in a coordinate plane and can be used to describe physical quantities such as velocity and force.

2. What are the i and j components in vector notation?

The i and j components in vector notation represent the horizontal and vertical components of a vector, respectively. They are used to break down a vector into its x and y components for easier calculation.

3. How do you add or subtract vectors with i and j components?

To add or subtract vectors with i and j components, you simply add or subtract the corresponding i and j components separately. For example, to add two vectors (a,b) and (c,d), the resulting vector would be (a+c, b+d).

4. What is the dot product of two vectors with i and j components?

The dot product of two vectors with i and j components is a scalar value that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding i and j components of the two vectors and then adding them together.

5. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector with i and j components?

The magnitude of a vector with i and j components can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square root of the sum of the squares of the i and j components equals the magnitude. The direction can be found using the inverse tangent function with the i and j components as the inputs.