1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors: Find w such that dv/ds = w x v

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

T (tangent), B (binormal), N (normal) are an orthogonal triad of unit vectors of a curve in R3.

Given:
    • dT/ds = kN
    • dN/ds = -kT + tB
    • dB/ds = -tN

Find vector w so that these equations may be written in the form:

dv/ds = w x v, where v = T + N + B

2. Relevant equations

Given above!

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried splitting v (T + N + B) into its components, as well as w, and putting them into a matrix to find the determinant (for the cross product).

The matrix consists of <i, j, k>, w = <w1, w2, w3>, and v = <(T1 + N1 + B1), (T2 + N2 + B2), (T3 + N3 + B3)>.

However, taking the determinant/cross product gives mismatching components (ie. j and k components supposedly add up to an i component). I'm not too sure where to go from here :(

Note: This is for a Multivariate Calculus course!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi YayMathYay, welcome to PF! :smile:

There's a much easier way to do this than by looking at the Cartesian components of the vectors.

Hint: What is [itex]\mathbf{v}\times ( \mathbf{w} \times \mathbf{v} )[/itex]?

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    First of all, thanks for the welcome! :)

I know the hint you gave me means [itex]\left(\mathbf{v} \bullet \mathbf{v}\right)\mathbf{w} - \left(\mathbf{v} \bullet \mathbf{w}\right)\mathbf{v}[/itex]. I've tried this method before, but I wasn't too sure where to go from here..

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For starters, what is [itex]\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{v}[/itex] ? Next since [itex]\mathbf{T}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] & [itex]\mathbf{N}[/itex] are an orthogonal triad in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], they span [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], and so any vector can be decomposed into a linear combination of those unit vectors. So, why not write [itex]\mathbf{w} = w_{T}\mathbf{T} + w_{N}\mathbf{N} + w_{B}\mathbf{B}[/itex]... what does that make [itex]\mathbf{w} ( \mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{v} ) - \mathbf{v} ( \mathbf{w} \cdot \mathbf{v} )[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook