1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the outward flux of a vector field across an ellipsoid

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the outward flux of the vector field ## \vec F = y^2e^{z^2+y^2} i + x^2 e^{z^2+x^2} j + z^2 e^{x^2+y^2} k## across that part of the ellipsoid
    $$ x^2 + y^2 + 4z^2 = 8$$ which lies in the region ##0 ≤ z ≤ 1##
    (Note: The two “horizontal discs” at the top and bottom are not a part of the ellipsoid.)
    (Hint: Use the Divergence Theorem, but remember that it only applies to a closed surface, giving the total flux outwards across the whole closed surface)

2. Relevant equations

## \iint_S \vec F \cdot \vec n \, dS = \iiint_D \text{div}\ \vec F \, dV##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that since the top and bottom discs aren't part of the ellipsoid, I'll have to subtract their fluxes from the final result. I also think I found the fluxes of those, at ##z = 0## the flux is 0 since $$ \iint_S \vec F \cdot \vec n \, dS = \iint_S <y^2e^{z^2+y^2}, x^2 e^{z^2+x^2}, z^2 e^{x^2+y^2}> \dot <0, 0, -1> \, dS = \iint_S -z^2 e^{x^2+y^2} dS$$ which evaluates to 0.
    At ##z = 1##, $$ \iint_S \vec F \cdot \vec n \, dS = \iint_S <y^2e^{z^2+y^2}, x^2 e^{z^2+x^2}, z^2 e^{x^2+y^2}> \dot <0, 0, 1> \, dS = \iint_S z^2 e^{x^2+y^2} dS$$ which evaluates to $$\iint_S e^{r^2} rdrd\theta = 18\pi e^4$$

When I try to find the divergence of the ellipsoid, I get
    $$ \iint_S \vec F \cdot \vec n \, dS = \iiint_D \text{div}\ \vec F \, dV = \iiint_D 2ze^{x^2+y^2} \, dV$$

But at this point I'm lost. I thought I might have to convert to spherical coordinates, but that gets me a really ugly and long parameter where $$r_u \text{x}\ r_v = <-4\cos u \sin^2 v , -4\sin u \sin^2 v , -8\sin v \cos v>$$
    and computing the dot product of this with ##\vec F## converted to spherical coordinates gives me
    $$(-32 \cos u \sin u \sin^4 v)(\sin u e^{2\cos v + 8\sin^2 u \sin^2 v} + \cos u e^{2\cos v + 8\cos^2 u \sin^2 v}) - 16 \sin v \cos^2 v e^{8\cos^2 u \cos^2 v + \sin^2 u \sin^2 v}$$

So I don't think that's right.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have (abusing your notation slightly) $$\iiint_V = \iint_S + \iint_{D1} + \iint_{D2}$$where ##D_1## and ##D_2## are the top and bottom discs you have calculated. You are trying to get the value of ##\iint_S##. All you need to calculate to get that is ##\iiint_V## of the divergence. That is a volume integral, not a surface integral. It's true you are going to have to do that in two pieces in "spherical" coordinates. I would suggest the change of variables $$x = \sqrt 8\rho\sin\phi\cos\theta,~y =\sqrt 8\rho\sin\phi\sin\theta,~z=\sqrt 2\cos\phi$$The Jacobian turns out pretty simple. I haven't worked all the details but that should get you going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted