Vectors: Linear Combinations and Parallelism

In summary: For c), if it's even right, there's a real number that works. But again, to find it you need to solve equations.
JP16

Homework Statement

The question states: "find all scalars c, if any exist such that given statement is true."
It also suggests trying to do without pencil and paper.

a) vector [c2, c3, c4] is parallel to [1,-2,4] with same direction.

b) vector [13, -15] is a linear combination of vectors [1,5] and [3,c]

c) vector [-1,c] is a linear combination of vectors [-3,5] and [6,-11]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) for it to be parallel, it has to be a scalar multiple of [1,-2,4] = x. and [c2, c3, c4] = y. then you can say ax = y. but wouldn't that give different values for all 3 c's? Let's say for example a=2. then 2x = y. then it would be:
i) c2 = 2*1
ii) c3 = 2*-2
iii) c4 = 2*4
which results in a different value of c in each. can i conclude that there DNE a such c?

b) the scalar multiple could be any real number for both vectors so c could be any real number?

c) 1[-3,5] + 1/3[6,-11] = [-1,4/3] so c = 4/3. this was achieved by trial and error. firstly is this even right? second, if its right, is there a algebraic way of doing it. it would have 3 unknowns and 2 equations.

at a glance seems pretty simple, or i just forgot some of the things i learned last year. any guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve any of these systematically you need to solve equations. Take the first one. You've got ax=y. So you've got c^2=a*1, c^3=a*(-2), and c^4=a*4. Just showing that a=2 doesn't work doesn't mean NO number can work. You would need to show that. Hint: the first equation tells you a=c^2. Substitute that for 'a' in the other equations. I wouldn't try to do these without pencil and paper until you know how to do them with pencil and paper.

Last edited:
Dick said:
To solve any of these systematically you need to solve equations. Take the first one. You've got ax=y. So you've got c^2=a*1, c^3=a*(-2), and c^4=a*4. Just showing that a=2 doesn't work doesn't mean NO number can work. You need to show that. Hint: the first equation tells you a=c^2. Substitute that for 'a' in the other equations. I wouldn't try to do these without pencil and paper until you know how to do them with pencil and paper.

oh i tried doing that with 2x=y, now i see why that would be wrong.
c3 = -2c2
c = -2 => not valid since c has to be > 0, since its in the 'same direction'. moving on.

c4= 4c2
c = 2 => which holds true so then a = 4.

I know you need to solve equations, but for questions such as b and c, i get one more unknown then the number of equation. For b, wouldn't more than one value of c hold true, intuitively? in fact all real values?

and for c i get :
-3x + 6y = -1
5x - 11y = c
2 equations with 3 unknowns! how do i go about solving that?

JP16 said:
oh i tried doing that with 2x=y, now i see why that would be wrong.
c3 = -2c2
c = -2 => not valid since c has to be > 0, since its in the 'same direction'. moving on.

c4= 4c2
c = 2 => which holds true so then a = 4.

I know you need to solve equations, but for questions such as b and c, i get one more unknown then the number of equation. For b, wouldn't more than one value of c hold true, intuitively? in fact all real values?

and for c i get :
-3x + 6y = -1
5x - 11y = c
2 equations with 3 unknowns! how do i go about solving that?

For the first one, c=(-2) does work. The thing that's supposed to be positive is a, not c. What is a if c=(-2)??

For the other two, sure you have more unknowns than equations. So you likely have an infinite number of solutions. But work it out. Eliminate one of the variables that's not c and look at the remaining equation. For b) you'll find a value of c that does NOT work.

Last edited:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. Vectors can be used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. What is a linear combination of vectors?

A linear combination of vectors is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying each vector in a set by a scalar (a real number) and then adding them together. This results in a new vector that is a combination of the original vectors. For example, the linear combination of v and w would be written as av + bw, where a and b are scalars.

3. How do you determine if two vectors are parallel?

Two vectors are parallel if they have the same direction or are multiples of each other. This means that one vector can be obtained by multiplying the other vector by a scalar. To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can compare their direction using their direction angles or the dot product. If the direction angles are equal or the dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes, then the vectors are parallel.

4. What does it mean for vectors to be linearly independent?

Vectors are linearly independent if none of them can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. In other words, no vector in the set is a multiple of another vector. This also means that the vectors are not on the same line and are pointing in different directions.

5. How is parallelism related to linear combinations?

Parallelism is related to linear combinations because parallel vectors can be written as linear combinations of each other. This means that one vector can be obtained by multiplying the other vector by a scalar. This is because parallel vectors have the same direction or are multiples of each other, making them suitable for linear combinations.