1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors that follow the same path? (should be easy)

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    here's the problem:
    which vectors follow the same path as R=ti + t^2j? The speed along the path may be different.
    (a) 2ti + 2t^2j (b) 2ti + 4t^2j (c) -ti + t^2j (d) t^3i + t^6j

I think the answer is (a) and (b), and then (c) is in the opposite direction. I believe this because the velocities of (a) and (b) are (a): v=2 + 4t and (b): v=2 + 8t which is similar to the original: v=1+2t. (c): v=-1 + 2t is negative so it is in the opposite direction.

am I correct or at least on the right train of thought?
    thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This would probably be clearer if the first path was labeled si+s^2j. To show two paths are the same you have to find a change of variables s->t such that the equations become the same. (b) is a good choice because it corresponds to s=2t. Which other one is good. I don't think it's (a).

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    I agree it would be clearer, I just put what the book said. the text is so confusing!!

I don't understand how (b) is a good choice but (a) isn't. why does (b) correspond to s=2t? the way my novice eyes see it is that (a) is just twice the length of s. why is that not so?

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(b) corresponds to s=2t because (2t)i+(2t)^2j=2ti+4t^2j. If (a) were correct then I should be able to solve s=2t and s^2=2^t^2 for s and t simultaneously for all s and t. And I can't.

6. Sep 17, 2008 #5
    does that mean differentiating bears no relevance? I think I almost understand. =)

7. Sep 17, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem said "the speed along the path may be different", so, no, the velocity at any one point doesn't matter. What matters is that for any s along the original path there is a t in the second path such that the two points are equal. Now which other path in the second group is the same as the first.

8. Sep 18, 2008 #7
    OH!!!!! it's (c) because if I set s=-t, I get -ti + t^2j just like with (b) I get 2ti + 4t^2j when I let s=2t.
    yay I understand!!!

9. Sep 18, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good job! You caught one I missed. But there's another one.

10. Sep 18, 2008 #9
    I guess it has to be d. =) that would happen when I let s=t^3, correct? I think I just assumed (d) wasn't even pertinent since it was so different, but it makes sense that it does now.

11. Sep 18, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, yes, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?