1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors: why is the cosine of this angle always -1/2?

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Pick any numbers that add to x + y + z = 0. Find the angle between your vector v = (x, y, z) and the vector w = ( z, x, y). Challenge question: explain why v.w/|v||w| is always -1/2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I chose (1, -2, 1) for the first part, which is straightforward. The second bit has me somewhat flummoxed. Using x, y, and z, I get:
    (xz + xy + yz)/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
    I can see that the numerator will always be less than the denominator because either one or two of the components must be negative. The explanation proper eludes me though, and I feel missing something simple here. Please assist me in understanding this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is (x+y+z)^2?

Edit: There is also a geometrical interpretation, but we can leave that until you understand why the equality holds.

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3
    (xz + xy + yz)/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) = -1/2 as a result of multiplying out the expression, which is equal to zero. I knew it was staring me in the face.

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    V scalar w /|v| ×| w |= |v| ×| w | cos ß / |v| ×|w| = cos ß
    so you should find some kind of relationship between those vector in order to get ß = π -60° / π + 60°
    Thats all i can think of.

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5
    You need to answer Orodruin's question in post #2. Once you see the answer to this question, you will know what to do next.

chet

7. Nov 26, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe the OP has already completed thid problem.

8. Aug 19, 2016 #7
    how can we (a) Geometrically and (b) Physically(in real life application) interpret the equation ???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted