Velocity and acceleration problem

In summary, the car starts with an initial velocity of 234km/h and accelerates at a rate of 9m/s^2 for 20 seconds. The displacement of the car is 3.1km and the final velocity is 245m/s. The change in velocity is 180m/s.
-Physician

Homework Statement

The car goes with a initial velocity of 234km/h, and accelerates 9m/s2 for time of 20s. Find the displacement of the car in accelerating uniformly motion and the final velocity. Also the find the change in velocity !##Δv##

Homework Equations

##v_i=234\frac{km}{h}=234\frac{1m}{3.6s}##
##a=9\frac{m}{s^2}##
##t=20s##
##d=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##(Find)
##v_f=v_0+at##(Find)
##Δv=v_f-v_i## (Find)

The Attempt at a Solution

Just waiting an answer :) thanks! (i know you may not answer because you don't do our homework but you help us, but i really need help for this)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equations to use. The speed is given in km/hr but the acceleration rate is in m/sec^2. You must convert to like units before adding the terms in the displacement equation.

I see, but
accelerating uniformly motion
, what does that mean, does anything change?

It should be stated "accelerating uniform motion". Motion is a noun so it needs an adjective not an adverb as a modifier.

That said, the term means that the acceleration is constant. The equation is not valid unless the acceleration is constant over the specified time, t.

Oh thanks so:
##v=234 \frac{km}{h}=234 \frac{1m}{3.6s}=65 \frac{m}{s}##
##v_f=v_i+at=65 \frac{m}{s} + (9 \frac{m}{s^2})(20s)=65 \frac{m}{s} + 180 \frac{m}{s}=245 \frac{m}{s}##
##d=v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} at^2=(65 \frac{m}{s})(20s)+ \frac{1}{2}(9 \frac{m}{s^2})(20s)^2=1300m+1800m=3100m=3.1km##
Is that correct?

Last edited:
Yes, it is correct.

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity measures how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This formula can also be written as v = Δd/Δt, where Δd represents the change in distance and Δt represents the change in time.

3. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. This means that when an object's velocity changes, it is experiencing acceleration. If an object's velocity is increasing, it is experiencing positive acceleration, while if its velocity is decreasing, it is experiencing negative acceleration (also known as deceleration).

4. How can you use a velocity vs. time graph to determine acceleration?

In a velocity vs. time graph, the slope of the line represents acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration. If the line is horizontal, then the object is not experiencing any acceleration (its velocity is constant).

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time period, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity vs. time graph at a specific point.