Velocity factor of lossy transmission line?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hobbs125
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
I have been reading up on transmission lines and I was wondering:

If a transmission line has high dielectric loss (low conductance, G) does this have any effect on the velocity factor?

I would think that it would reduce the velocity factor because some of the energy would be absorbed by the conductance, but I'm not certain.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Absorption does not mean reduced velocity, it means essentially amplitude becoming smaller.
You should go back to the theory of lossy lines.
However, there could be a subtle link.

I have a question: what is the velocity of this wave:

exp(- α x) exp(i(k x - ω t))

how would you understand a complex wave velocity ( w/(k+iα) ) ?