Velocity of a Helium-atom in a double slit experiment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
laguna
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi, I want to apologize for any grammar errors in advance since english is not my first language. But i hope it is good enough such that the question is clear:
I want to calculate the velocity of a Helium-atom after it scattered on a double slit. The following information are given:
1) the distance of the first intensity maximum from the axis of the detector screen
2) distance d between both slits
3) distance from the double slit and the detector screen

Homework Equations


what is the velocity of the helium-atom? and what velocity would an electron need to have to reach the same separation of its intensity maximum?

The Attempt at a Solution


1) first I calculated the condition for constructive interference: d*sin(phi)=n*lamba, n integer.
2) from the distance to the screen L, and the distance of the first maximum, say l, we get phi: tan(phi)=l/L
3) from the first step we get lambda, since n=1, right?.
And here i am stuck.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Laguna, :welcome:

Apparently you need one or more relevant equations to proceed. SInce there are none under '2. relevant equations', you will now have to search your toolbox to find some :smile:

Also: in your attempt at solution you might show your steps in more detail; if something goes wrong, PF helper can put it right...
 
Your difficulty might come from not having all the relevant equations. Think about how the velocity of a particle is related to its wavelength via an important equation.
 
thank you for the warm welcome :-)

I can use the de-Broglie relation lamba=h/p, p the momentum. then i get the speed, right? :-)
I am sorry, I missread '2. relevant equations' with '2. relevant questions' when I was writing the post.
 
Good start. You want to check if you need anything relativistic and then you can link ##\lambda## and ##p## (or fist link them and then check that ##v<<c##)