Velocity of Center of Mass of Disk

In summary: What if you switch to the inertial reference frame moving with the center of the disk? In this frame would the point have a vertical component of acceleration at the lowest position? It would have a vertical component of acceleration at the lowest position in the inertial reference frame.However, in the original frame (the one the point is at rest in) it would not have any vertical acceleration.The point is at rest i.e v=0 .Shouldn't the centripetal acc. v2/R be zero as well? Please explain this apparent contradiction .Look at the motion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloid. In the cycloid, the vertical component of velocity changes
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=c75b6228ea0a231ab93864c726808e60.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think if I can locate the instantaneous axis of rotation ,then may be motion/velocity of CM could be determined . In the attached figure I have marked the two points A and B which are instantaneously at rest .The black arrows depict their respective velocities w.r.t CM .

Now consider point A . If it is instantaneously at rest ,then ##V_{CM}## has to be along the green vector .Similarly If we consider point B , then ##V_{CM}## should be along the red vector .

But that is a contradiction . I am not very sure if this is the right way to approach this problem .

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• disk.PNG
    disk.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 493
  • disk1.PNG
    disk1.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
Locating the instantaneous axis of rotation sounds like a very good idea!

Are the points A and B instantaneously at rest? Hint: Are the strings changing their angles with respect to the vertical?

Likes Tanya Sharma
TSny said:
Are the points A and B instantaneously at rest? Hint: Are the strings changing their angles with respect to the vertical?

Yes . I have been thinking on this line . No , the points are not at rest . I am guessing that the left string is rotating clockwise whereas right is rotating anticlockwise w.r.t the support . Is that correct ?

So what should be the next line of thinking ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Yes . I have been thinking on this line . No , the points are not at rest . I am guessing that the left string is rotating clockwise whereas right is rotating anticlockwise w.r.t the support . Is that correct ?
Yes.

So what should be the next line of thinking ?
Can you see the direction that point A (on the disc) must be moving?

Likes Tanya Sharma
Before I answer your question , I would like to clarify ,whether it is correct to say that point A is instantaneously at rest w.r.t the string ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Before I answer your question , I would like to clarify ,whether it is correct to say that point A is instantaneously at rest w.r.t the string ?
Yes. It is like a ball rolling without slipping on a board that is being tilted.

Likes Tanya Sharma
Fine .

Are you getting ##V_{CM} = \frac{\omega R}{cos\frac{\alpha}{2}}##

In the attached figure ,the green dot represents the IAOR and red vector represents the direction of velocity of CM .

Does that make sense ?

Attachments

• disk2.PNG
    disk2.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 404
I believe your answer is correct.

Did you have a look at the attached figure as well ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Did you have a look at the attached figure as well ?
Yes, it looks good to me. Something to think about: does the answer make sense for ##\alpha## approaching zero?

Likes Tanya Sharma
TSny said:
Yes, it looks good to me.

Thank you very much :smile:

TSny said:
Something to think about: does the answer make sense for ##\alpha## approaching zero?

Yes ,it makes sense. I am assuming this situation corresponds to when the two strings are aligned one on top of the other vertically (i.e both the strings are vertical) . In this case ##V_{CM} = \omega R##

Do you see any issue ?

Last edited:
A side question -

If a disk is rolling without slipping(accelerated/non-accelerated) on a stationary horizontal surface ,the bottommost point is at rest . Is it correct to say that this point does not have any kind of acceleration , neither linear nor centripetal acceleration ? I am concerned more about centripetal acceleration .

Tanya Sharma said:
Thank you very much :smile:
Yes ,it makes sense. I am assuming this situation corresponds to when the two strings are aligned one on top of the other vertically (i.e both the strings are vertical) . In this case ##V_{CM} = \omega R##

Do you see any issue ?
I think it makes sense, as you say. You can also think about ##\alpha## going to 180o, with the two strings horizontal.

Tanya Sharma said:
A side question -

If a disk is rolling without slipping(accelerated/non-accelerated) on a stationary horizontal surface ,the bottommost point is at rest . Is it correct to say that this point does not have any kind of acceleration , neither linear nor centripetal acceleration ? I am concerned more about centripetal acceleration .

The point will have a centripetal acceleration (i.e., upward) at the instant the point is at rest.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The point will have a centripetal acceleration (i.e., upward) at the instant the point is at rest.
The point is at rest i.e v=0 .Shouldn't the centripetal acc. v2/R be zero as well? Please explain this apparent contradiction .

Look at the motion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloid. Is the vertical component of velocity changing when the point is in contact with the surface?

What if you switch to the inertial reference frame moving with the center of the disk? In this frame would the point have a vertical component of acceleration at the lowest position? Do accelerations change when switching between inertial reference frames?

Likes Tanya Sharma
Okay .

There is another problem involving similar concepts of rolling and use of Instantaneous axis . Please see the attached picture .

Do you agree that in the inertial frame moving with the center of the sphere

1) speed of the lower tip is 'v' towards left .
2) speed of the topmost point is 'v' vertically upwards .
3 rod is undergoing pure rotation about the center of the sphere .
4) the center of the sphere acts as the instantaneous axis .
5) the CM of the rod is moving with speed v/√2 .

Attachments

• rod.PNG
    rod.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I agree with all 5.

Likes Tanya Sharma

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average location of the mass of the object, taking into account the distribution of mass throughout the object.

2. How is the velocity of center of mass of a disk calculated?

The velocity of the center of mass of a disk can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of the disk to the point of interest.

3. What factors affect the velocity of center of mass of a disk?

The velocity of center of mass of a disk is affected by the angular velocity of the disk, the distance from the center of the disk to the point of interest, and the mass distribution within the disk.

4. How does the velocity of center of mass of a disk change when the disk is rotating?

The velocity of center of mass of a disk remains constant when the disk is rotating at a constant angular velocity. However, the direction of the velocity may change as the disk rotates.

5. What is the significance of the velocity of center of mass of a disk?

The velocity of center of mass of a disk is important in understanding the motion of the disk as a whole. It can also be used to determine the overall kinetic energy of the disk, which is useful in various applications such as in the study of collisions and rotational dynamics.