Velocity of fluid through a point on a plane

In summary, the speed at which the fluid passes through the plane is determined by finding the dot product of the velocity vector (2i-3j) and a unit normal vector of the plane, which is perpendicular to the vector b=-i+2k. The position vector is not needed in this calculation.
racnna

Homework Statement

Fluid flows with velocity 2i - 3j m/s at point P having coordinates (1,2,4). Consider a plane through P which is normal to the vector b=-i+2k. What is the speed at which the fluid passes through the plane?

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I do the dot product of the position vector P=[1,2,4] and b vector, then multiply this by unit vector that is in the direction of the b vector, and then dot the result with the velocity vector?

thats what i did but I am getting a negative velocity

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi racnna! :smile:
racnna said:
Fluid flows with velocity 2i - 3j m/s at point P having coordinates (1,2,4). Consider a plane through P which is normal to the vector b=-i+2k. What is the speed at which the fluid passes through the plane?

Should I do the dot product of the position vector P=[1,2,4] …

but what is the relevance of the position vector? :confused:

hmm...maybe i don't need it?? ok just ignore the position vector part...

should i just find the dot product of v and a unit normal vector of the plane?

yup! :biggrin:

.I would suggest that you check your calculation again to ensure that you have correctly calculated the dot product and used the correct units. If you are still getting a negative velocity, it could be due to the orientation of the plane and the direction of the flow. You may need to consider the direction of the normal vector of the plane and the direction of the velocity vector to determine the actual speed at which the fluid is passing through the plane. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the situation and better understand the direction and magnitude of the velocity at the given point.

1. What is the concept of velocity of fluid through a point on a plane?

The velocity of fluid through a point on a plane is a measure of the speed and direction of the fluid at that specific point. It takes into account the fluid's magnitude and direction of movement, and is an important factor in understanding the behavior of fluids in a given system.

2. How is the velocity of fluid through a point on a plane calculated?

The velocity of fluid through a point on a plane can be calculated using the equation v = Q/A, where v is the velocity, Q is the volume flow rate of the fluid, and A is the cross-sectional area of the plane. This equation is derived from the principle of continuity, which states that the amount of fluid flowing through a given cross-section must be constant.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of fluid through a point on a plane?

Several factors can affect the velocity of fluid through a point on a plane, including the density of the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, and the size and shape of the plane. Other external factors such as pressure, temperature, and turbulence can also have an impact on the fluid's velocity.

4. Why is the velocity of fluid through a point on a plane important in fluid dynamics?

The velocity of fluid through a point on a plane is important because it helps to determine the behavior of the fluid in a given system. It can provide insights into the flow patterns, pressure distribution, and overall performance of the system. By understanding the velocity of fluids, scientists and engineers can make more accurate predictions and design more efficient systems.

5. Can the velocity of fluid through a point on a plane change over time?

Yes, the velocity of fluid through a point on a plane can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as changes in flow rate, changes in fluid properties, or changes in the system's conditions. It is important to continuously monitor and analyze the velocity of fluids in a system to ensure optimal performance and identify any potential issues.