Velocity of light and temperature of medium

In summary: There is no definitive formula, but one way to think about it is that the velocity of light is inversely proportional to the temperature.
spidey
do velocity of light changes in hot or cold medium(air or water)...if it changes,wat is the reason for that change...wat effect the temperature of medium has on velocity of light?

Science news on Phys.org
The temperature can affect the index of refraction, but I expect that the effect is too small to have been measured.

pam said:
but I expect that the effect is too small to have been measured.

I guess it depends on what one means by "light". The temperature dependence is definitely quite easy to see in the microwave regime, the permittivity changes a LOT for some materials which in turns affect e.g. the properties of waveguides.
Presumably it should be possible to see this effect in the optical regime using e.g. an interferometer, but i guess it would be difficult to distinguish from other effects such as thermal expansion of the resonator itself.

The temperature effect is extremely important certain measurements, such as the recently published result from the Auger Observatory collaboration. It makes a lot of difference what the air temperature is when you're trying to collect the cerenkov light that these high energy particles are making as they go through the air. That's why they sample the air temperature often not just throughout the year, but in a day as well.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The temperature effect is extremely important certain measurements, such as the recently published result from the Auger Observatory collaboration. It makes a lot of difference what the air temperature is when you're trying to collect the cerenkov light that these high energy particles are making as they go through the air. That's why they sample the air temperature often not just throughout the year, but in a day as well.

Zz.

are there any relation between temperature of medium and velocity of light ...i mean any expression or formula...

1. What is the relationship between the velocity of light and the temperature of the medium it travels through?

The velocity of light in a medium is directly proportional to the temperature of the medium. This means that as the temperature of the medium increases, the velocity of light also increases.

2. How does the temperature of a medium affect the speed of light?

The temperature of a medium affects the speed of light because it changes the density of the medium. As the temperature increases, the density decreases, allowing light to travel through the medium faster.

3. Is the velocity of light constant in all mediums?

No, the velocity of light is not constant in all mediums. It varies depending on the properties of the medium, such as its density, composition, and temperature.

4. Can the speed of light be affected by extreme temperatures?

Yes, extreme temperatures can affect the speed of light in a medium. For example, at very low temperatures, the density of a medium may increase, causing the speed of light to decrease.

5. How does the speed of light in a vacuum compare to the speed of light in a medium?

The speed of light in a vacuum is the fastest possible speed and is constant at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. The speed of light in a medium is always slower than the speed of light in a vacuum and can vary depending on the properties of the medium.