Velocity of light remain costant in a gravitational field?

In summary, the speed of light remains constant in a gravitational field, but its direction may change due to the curvature of spacetime. This means that the magnitude of c stays the same, but observers may measure a different speed due to the effects of gravity. This is explained by the theory of relativity, which is a convention that is self-sustaining and necessary for understanding the equations of mechanics. Without this convention, the equations become meaningless and arbitrary. However, some believe that relativity is incomplete and that there may be other ways to explain the behavior of light and its relationship to dimensions.
Ignition
Does the velocity of light remain costant in a gravitational field?
In my calculation it is less than c.

Physics news on Phys.org
velocity is a vector quantity... it depends on its direction in relation to the field

So c in a gravitational field is bigger than c?
What Relativity say about this?

Ignition said:

Hi Ignition! :smile:

(You mean speed)

In general coordinates, the speed of light depends on the metric you have chosen.

But in local inertial coordinates, the speed of light is always c. :smile:

well gravity can bend the path of light, and a black hole can stop light from escaping because gravity is so strong... I am not sure if light slows down and turns back around when trying to escape a black hole or if it just can't be bounced back out in the first place or if it goes c out and then is reversed to c in the opposite direction from the gravity... i don't think light accelerates it just goes c... I'm not sure I've never "seen" a black hole haha

The *magnitude* is always 'c'. The direction can change, and therefore it can "accelerate" in a given direction.

Ignition said:
The speed of light in vacuum remains locally the same in a gravitational field. Observers may measure a different speed due to the curvature of spacetime.

shamrock5585 said:
, and a black hole can stop light from escaping because gravity is so strong... I am not sure if light slows down and turns back around when trying to escape a black hole or if it just can't be bounced back out in the first place or if it goes c out and then is reversed to c in the opposite direction from the gravity... i don't think light accelerates it just goes c... I'm not sure I've never "seen" a black hole haha
The light is not slowing down, its wordline is curved back into the black hole, so it has nowhere to go but back.

peter0302 said:
The *magnitude* is always 'c'. The direction can change, and therefore it can "accelerate" in a given direction.
Light in vacuum does not accelerate since its wordline always follows a geodesic of spacetime.

MeJennifer said:
The light is not slowing down, its wordline is curved back into the black hole, so it has nowhere to go but back.

Light in vacuum does not accelerate since its wordline always follows a geodesic of spacetime.

I think you meant "worldline".
Unfortunately that is all I can contribute to this topic.

MeJennifer said:
The speed of light in vacuum remains locally the same in a gravitational field. Observers may measure a different speed due to the curvature of spacetime.

Spacetime is a mathematical construct invented to circumvent certain inconvenient conclusions concerning the speed of light. By using it, you quash all meaningful questions about light and it's inertial reference frames.

mtworkowski@o said:
MeJennifer said:

Spacetime is a mathematical construct invented to circumvent certain inconvenient conclusions concerning the speed of light. By using it, you quash all meaningful questions about light and it's inertial reference frames.

So you are simply asserting that all of general relativity is wrong?

HallsofIvy said:
mtworkowski@o said:
So you are simply asserting that all of general relativity is wrong?

I don't think I'm qualified to make that determination, but if I had to guess I would say that everything we attribute to spacetime and relativity could be explained by other means. You'll remember that history is full of dicarded axioms that were once believed in religiously. the theoretical part of phisics is prone to this. String theory is another messy explanation that will fall apart.

Quote:--

--You'll remember that history is full of dicarded axioms that were once believed in religiously.---

That's the easy answer as it will always be true of any theory.

Matheinste.

True enough.

Relativity is a convention. As it works, it is not wrong, but incomplete. It is a convention that is self sustaining because it is self consistent and therefore inescapable.
All relativity theory must concede, accept or agree on the first instance of measure which is
usually referred to as "proper" time, mass or length. This first "quantification" sets all subsequent
quantification of dimension simply because space, time and mass cannot be defined
uniquely from each other.
Without this first premise of the constancy of dimension set by choice and sustained by
the convention of the relativity of "proper" dimension, the equations of mechanics become
meaningless, arbitrary expressions.

Why can't I PM shamrock5585??

Pete

Chrisc said:
Relativity is a convention. As it works, it is not wrong, but incomplete. It is a convention that is self sustaining because it is self consistent and therefore inescapable.
All relativity theory must concede, accept or agree on the first instance of measure which is
usually referred to as "proper" time, mass or length. This first "quantification" sets all subsequent
quantification of dimension simply because space, time and mass cannot be defined
uniquely from each other.
Without this first premise of the constancy of dimension set by choice and sustained by
the convention of the relativity of "proper" dimension, the equations of mechanics become
meaningless, arbitrary expressions.

I think you said it well. I like the convention thing. What is reality after all. I've been in God's pocket and I can't even find his watch, no less take it apart.

1. How does the velocity of light remain constant in a gravitational field?

The velocity of light remains constant in a gravitational field because of the principle of equivalence, which states that the effects of gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable. This means that an observer in a gravitational field will measure the same speed of light as an observer in an accelerated frame of reference, regardless of the strength of the gravitational field.

2. Why is it important that the velocity of light remains constant in a gravitational field?

It is important because it is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity, which is the basis for our understanding of the behavior of space and time. The constancy of the speed of light in all frames of reference is necessary for this theory to remain consistent and accurate.

3. Does the velocity of light really remain constant in all gravitational fields?

Yes, according to our current understanding of physics, the velocity of light remains constant in all gravitational fields. This has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, and is a key aspect of our understanding of the universe.

4. What is the relationship between the velocity of light and gravity?

The relationship between the velocity of light and gravity is that gravity affects the path of light, but not its overall speed. In other words, light will follow a curved path in the presence of a gravitational field, but its speed will remain the same. This is known as gravitational lensing.

5. Can anything ever travel faster than the speed of light in a gravitational field?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe, regardless of the gravitational field. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further.