1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of Separation in Special Relativity

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

An observer sees two spaceships flying apart with speed .99c. What is the speed of one spaceship as viewed by the other?

I considered two spaceships A and B. A is moving with velocity vA in the left direction and B is moving with velocity vB in the right direction. Hence, ##v_{sep} = v_A + v_B = 0.99c##

Now finding the relative velocity of one spaceship with respect to other.

$$v_{rel} = \frac{v_A + v_B}{1 + \frac{v_Av_B}{c^2}}$$

Now since I don't know vA or vB, I can't find the answer. So, my question here is - is my question incomplete? Or is it possible to obtain an answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2
    Your question is incomplete. you have the sum vA+vB but not the product. The product of two numbers cannot be obtained from their sum without some additional information.

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Maybe the question means to say each ship is traveling at 0.99c relative to the stationary observer in opposite directions.

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

Hmm.... I tried to look for the answer in the meantime, the book (Kleppner and Kolenkow) from which the question was lifted, fortunately provided it.

Taking your suggestion, the answer is coming out to be 0.99995c, which is the same as the answer provided.

Thanks a ton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted