Velocity of Separation in Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of two spaceships, A and B, flying apart at a velocity of 0.99c. The observer is trying to find the relative velocity of one spaceship with respect to the other, but is unable to do so without knowing the product of their velocities. The conversation concludes with the answer of 0.99995c being provided from a book that was referenced.
AGNuke
Gold Member
An observer sees two spaceships flying apart with speed .99c. What is the speed of one spaceship as viewed by the other?

I considered two spaceships A and B. A is moving with velocity vA in the left direction and B is moving with velocity vB in the right direction. Hence, ##v_{sep} = v_A + v_B = 0.99c##

Now finding the relative velocity of one spaceship with respect to other.

$$v_{rel} = \frac{v_A + v_B}{1 + \frac{v_Av_B}{c^2}}$$

Now since I don't know vA or vB, I can't find the answer. So, my question here is - is my question incomplete? Or is it possible to obtain an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is incomplete. you have the sum vA+vB but not the product. The product of two numbers cannot be obtained from their sum without some additional information.

Maybe the question means to say each ship is traveling at 0.99c relative to the stationary observer in opposite directions.

vela said:
Maybe the question means to say each ship is traveling at 0.99c relative to the stationary observer in opposite directions.

Hmm... I tried to look for the answer in the meantime, the book (Kleppner and Kolenkow) from which the question was lifted, fortunately provided it.

Taking your suggestion, the answer is coming out to be 0.99995c, which is the same as the answer provided.

Thanks a ton.

I would say that the question is incomplete because we need to know the specific velocities of the two spaceships in order to calculate the relative velocity between them. Without knowing these values, it is not possible to accurately determine the speed of one spaceship as viewed by the other. Additionally, the concept of relative velocity in special relativity is more complex than just adding velocities, as shown in the equation above. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which would also need to be taken into consideration in order to accurately determine the relative velocity. Therefore, without more information, it is not possible to provide a definite answer to this question.

What is the velocity of separation in special relativity?

The velocity of separation in special relativity refers to the relative speed between two objects as perceived by an observer in a specific reference frame. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are predicted by the theory of special relativity.

How is the velocity of separation calculated in special relativity?

The velocity of separation is calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations, which relate the measurements of time and distance between two reference frames that are moving at constant velocities relative to each other. This allows for the calculation of the relative velocity between the two objects.

Does the velocity of separation always appear the same to all observers in special relativity?

No, the velocity of separation is a relative concept and can appear different to different observers depending on their reference frames. This is because the effects of time dilation and length contraction can alter the perceived velocity of an object.

Can the velocity of separation exceed the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This means that the velocity of separation between two objects cannot exceed the speed of light, regardless of the reference frame.

How does the velocity of separation in special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the velocity of separation between two objects is simply the difference in their speeds. However, in special relativity, the perceived velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as time dilation and length contraction, making the calculation more complex.