1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of sound in copper-nickel blend

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to find the longitudal velocity of sound in a 65/35 copper nickel blend. If anyone has a chart/table/resource of some sort that would be awesome.

If not I should be able to find this using the equation sqrt(youngs modulus/density) correct? If thats the case I can make some assumptions and a fairly close guess to the vos using the youngs modulus and density of the more popular 70/30 copper nickel alloy

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Mx.
    Fred Garvin and Astronuc seem to be able to pull charts like that out of their butts on a moment's notice, so help is probably on its way. :biggrin:

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    Your equation, sqrt(E/rho), sounds right. The units come out right at least. Perhaps you would consider interpolating E values from some other alloys?

You might be able to make a nice estimate with the values of E for Cu, Ni and 70/30.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?