Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of sound in copper-nickel blend

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to find the longitudal velocity of sound in a 65/35 copper nickel blend. If anyone has a chart/table/resource of some sort that would be awesome.

If not I should be able to find this using the equation sqrt(youngs modulus/density) correct? If thats the case I can make some assumptions and a fairly close guess to the vos using the youngs modulus and density of the more popular 70/30 copper nickel alloy

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Mx.
    Fred Garvin and Astronuc seem to be able to pull charts like that out of their butts on a moment's notice, so help is probably on its way. :biggrin:

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    Your equation, sqrt(E/rho), sounds right. The units come out right at least. Perhaps you would consider interpolating E values from some other alloys?

You might be able to make a nice estimate with the values of E for Cu, Ni and 70/30.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?