Velocity Selectors: Why Opposite Direction?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter v_pino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
v_pino
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
I understand that fast electrons will experience a larger force from the magnetic field and slower electrons will experience a smaller force. But how come they will move in opposite directions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
v_pino said:
I understand that fast electrons will experience a larger force from the magnetic field and slower electrons will experience a smaller force. But how come they will move in opposite directions?

What "opposite directions"? Please show where you got this. Use the Lorentz force law.

Zz.
 
here is the image of a section of the velocity selector

thanks
 
v_pino said:
here is the image of a section of the velocity selector

thanks

I guess this makes sense, because an electron is too small to see with the naked eye.

{ZapperZ smacks himself silly}

Zz.
 
v_pino said:
I understand that fast electrons will experience a larger force from the magnetic field and slower electrons will experience a smaller force. But how come they will move in opposite directions?
The velocity selector also has an electric field.