Adhesive Collision: Coding for Sticky Objects

In summary, adhesive collision refers to the coding techniques used for objects with sticky properties in video games and other simulations. These techniques involve adjusting the physics and collision detection algorithms to accurately simulate the behavior of sticky objects, such as glue or tape. This is essential for creating a more realistic and immersive experience for players and users. Adhesive collision is a challenging aspect of game development, but with the right coding strategies, it can greatly enhance the overall gameplay and user experience.
Hyperbolu
I am trying to code collision of two objects. When they collide, instead of rebound or motion of them according to their velocity, i want them to stick together and move in direction of resultant normal velocity. It is not plastic collision. I want a force that stops the rebound. how can i proceed with this. I tried using linear spring dashpot model and making the normal impact force 0 by adding equal in magnitude an opposite in direction force but even if the normal impact force is zero. objects still keep moving. Any help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean you want to model a totally inelastic collision?

PeroK said:
You mean you want to model a totally inelastic collision?
No it is not totally inelastic collision. If i take inelastic collision then there will be no need of adhesive force. I want that objects to collide, but like mostly they rebound, instead I want them to stick together (because of let's say magnetic force or vander waal force/ formation of some bond) and then keep moving with the normal velocity of system.

Hyperbolu said:
No it is not totally inelastic collision. If i take inelastic collision then there will be no need of adhesive force. I want that objects to collide, but like mostly they rebound, instead I want them to stick together (because of let's say magnetic force or vander waal force/ formation of some bond) and then keep moving with the normal velocity of system.
That is a totally inelastic collision. Do you know about conservation of momentum?

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
That is a totally inelastic collision. Do you know about conservation of momentum?
yes i do know about conservation of momentum. Can you please elaborate why it will be inelastic collision. let's say two chemical globules collide , they are sticky so they adhere to each other on collision but there motion gets damped because of collision but they will keep moving if one has higher velocity than other. So i do not understand that there will be a contact adhesive force as well. Where does it come in picture if we just have inelastic collision?

Hyperbolu said:
yes i do know about conservation of momentum. Can you please elaborate why it will be inelastic collision. let's say two chemical globules collide , they are sticky so they adhere to each other on collision but there motion gets damped because of collision but they will keep moving if one has higher velocity than other. So i do not understand that there will be a contact adhesive force as well. Where does it come in picture if we just have inelastic collision?
A totally inelastic collision is, by definition, one where the two objects collide and stick together after the collision.

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
PeroK said:
A totally inelastic collision is, by definition, one where the two objects collide and stick together after the collision.
yes i understand but we usually say that KE is lost in form of heat etc. but if I want to write let's say force balance: fn(normal force) acting on first object = fij(interaction of particle i and j when they collide)+ fa (adhesive force) , so i am asking is that I want to include this adhesive force as well, so how should write the force balance equation when sticking is caused by inelastic collision only. I am sorry if i am not making sense

Hyperbolu said:
yes i understand but we usually say that KE is lost in form of heat etc. but if I want to write let's say force balance: fn(normal force) acting on first object = fij(interaction of particle i and j when they collide)+ fa (adhesive force) , so i am asking is that I want to include this adhesive force as well, so how should write the force balance equation when sticking is caused by inelastic collision only. I am sorry if i am not making sense
The force balance equation is Newton's third law. If they stick together then motion after the collision must be the same as before the collision. The internal impulse can be calculated, but the force profile over time is not determined.

PeroK said:
The force balance equation is Newton's third law. If they stick together then motion after the collision must be the same as before the collision. The internal impulse can be calculated, but the force profile over time is not determined.
okay i understand.Can you please suggest how i should proceed then? how can i model this problem

PeroK said:
https://www2.msm.ctw.utwente.nl/sluding/PAPERS/2013_Singh_GRMA_v2.pdf i was reading this material

1. What is adhesive collision?

Adhesive collision is a type of collision that occurs when two objects with sticky surfaces come into contact with each other. This can result in the objects sticking together or leaving behind residue on each other.

2. How is adhesive collision different from other types of collisions?

Adhesive collision is different from other types of collisions, such as elastic or inelastic collisions, because it involves the objects sticking together rather than bouncing off of each other.

3. What are some real-life examples of adhesive collision?

Some real-life examples of adhesive collision include sticky notes sticking to a wall, chewing gum sticking to a shoe, or a piece of tape sticking to a surface.

4. How is adhesive collision coded in computer simulations?

In computer simulations, adhesive collision is typically coded using algorithms that calculate the forces between the objects' surfaces and determine if they will stick together or not based on certain parameters, such as the objects' materials and the force of impact.

5. What are some challenges in coding for adhesive collision?

Some challenges in coding for adhesive collision include accurately simulating the stickiness and adhesion of different materials, determining the appropriate parameters for stickiness, and handling complex collisions involving multiple objects with different adhesive properties.