1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Veocity time graph for a tennis ball during a rally?

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    Hi all,
    I am trying to draw a velocity time graph for a tennis ball during a rally. I am aware that the horizontal component of the velocity/speed will be constant, assuming negligable air resistance, and that the vertical component of the velocity will be a sawtooth shape. However I am unsure how to put these two components together to get an actual velocity time graph.
    Many thanks
    ZanyZoya

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2
    The magnitude of the velocity can be written as ##v=\sqrt {(v_h)^2+(v_v)^2}## where;
    ##(v_h)##:horizontal component of velocity in magnitude and
    ##(v_v)##:vertical component of velocity in magnitude.

As you said horizontal component will be constant so this is actually one variable function.So using this function and values you can create velocity-time graph

4. May 5, 2017 #3
    Velocity is a vector so plotting velocity versus time is usually done by plotting the components. You can also plot the magnitude and the angle of the vector versus time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted