Verification of Stoke's Theorem

• Thread starter sunnyday11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the verification of Stoke's Theorem for a given vector field and surface, using polar coordinates to solve the line integral and flux of curl. The individual solving the problem initially forgot to include the "+ 1" term in the integrand and used an incorrect differential in polar coordinates. After correcting these mistakes, the solution matched.
sunnyday11

Homework Statement

Verify Stoke's Theorem for F = y i + z j + x k and S the paraboloid z=1-(x^2+y^2) with z bigger or equal to 0 oriented upward, and the curve C which is the boundary of S.

Homework Equations

Stoke's Theorem
line interal = flux of curl of F (don't know how to use the symbol function)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the line integral, I use r(t) = cos (t) i + sin (t) j , and the solution i got was -pi but I could not get the flux of curl of F to match.

Curl F = -(i+j+k)
double integral of (-2x-2y-1)dxdy
==> double integral of (-2r cost(t) - 2r sin(t) drdt with r [0,1] and t [0, 2pi]

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
sunnyday11 said:

Homework Statement

Verify Stoke's Theorem for F = y i + z j + x k and S the paraboloid z=1-(x^2+y^2) with z bigger or equal to 0 oriented upward, and the curve C which is the boundary of S.

Homework Equations

Stoke's Theorem
line interal = flux of curl of F (don't know how to use the symbol function)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the line integral, I use r(t) = cos (t) i + sin (t) j , and the solution i got was -pi but I could not get the flux of curl of F to match.

Curl F = -(i+j+k)
double integral of (-2x-2y-1)dxdy
==> double integral of (-2r cost(t) - 2r sin(t) drdt with r [0,1] and t [0, 2pi]
I agree with you up to here but changing
[tex]\int\int (-2x- 2y+ 1)dxdy[/tex]
to polar coordinates gives
[tex]\int\int (-2rcos(t)- 2r sin(t)+ 1)(rdrdt)[/tex]

That is, you seem to have forgotten the "+ 1" in the integrand. And the differential in polar coordinates is rdrdt, not just "drdt".

Thank you very much!

1. What is Stoke's Theorem and why is it important in science?

Stoke's Theorem is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to relate surface integrals to line integrals. It is important in science because it allows us to solve certain problems in physics, such as calculating the circulation of a fluid or the flux of an electric field, by transforming them into simpler line integrals.

2. How is Stoke's Theorem related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Stoke's Theorem is a higher-dimensional version of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. While the Fundamental Theorem relates the integral of a function over an interval to its derivatives, Stoke's Theorem relates the integral of a vector field over a surface to its line integral around the boundary of that surface.

3. Can Stoke's Theorem be applied to any vector field and surface?

Stoke's Theorem can be applied to any smooth vector field and any smooth surface, as long as the surface is bounded by a closed curve. However, it is most commonly used in three-dimensional space.

4. How is Stoke's Theorem used in real-world applications?

Stoke's Theorem is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. It is used to solve problems involving fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and heat transfer.

5. Can you provide an example of using Stoke's Theorem in a problem?

One example of using Stoke's Theorem is in calculating the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop. By transforming the surface integral of the curl of the fluid's velocity field into a line integral around the boundary of the loop, we can easily calculate the circulation and understand the fluid's behavior.