Trace of a particular matrix product

In summary, the claim states that for an arbitrary matrix A in a set of complex matrices, and a matrix D with a specific pattern of entries, the trace of their product is equal to the sum of two terms involving the entries at specific positions. By using the definition of matrix multiplication and the fact that the entries of D are all zeros except for two, it can be shown that only those two terms survive in the sum, which leads to the desired result.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Claim: If ##A \in \mathcal{M}_n (\mathbb{C})## is arbitrary, and ##D## is a matrix with ##\beta## in its ##(i-j)##-th entry, and ##\overline{\beta}## in its ##(j-i)##-th, where ##i \ne j##, and with zeros elsewhere, then ##Tr(AD) = a_{ij} \beta + a_{ji} \overline{\beta}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having difficulty with sum notation. By definition, the ##(l-m)##-th entry of the matrix product ##AD## is

##\displaystyle (AD)_{lm} = \sum_{k=1}^n a_{lk} D_{km}##

And so the trace should be

##\displaystyle Tr(AD) = \sum_{q = 1}^n ((AD)_{lm})_q = \sum_{q=1}^n \sum_{k=1}^n a_{lk} D_{km}##

Given the description of the matrix ##D##, it would seem that ##(D)_{lm} = 0## whenever ##l \ne i##, ##l \ne j##, ##m \ne i##, or ##m \ne j##. However, I am unsure about this and am having difficulty properly splitting up the sum. Could someone guide me along?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are only two elements of that sum which survive. The ##a_{ij}D_{ij}## term and the ##a_{ji}D_{ji}## term. Every other term will be zero.

You and I both know who those survivors are ;).

Intuitively it is obvious. But shouldn't we use the definition to formally show it is valid?

Okay so we know:

$$Tr(AD) = \sum_{i=1} \sum_{j=1} A_{ij} D_{ji}$$

Maybe this notation will be more convenient for this problem.

Perhaps, although I am having double the difficulty with two sums involved.

It might be easier to think about it in more steps. What would the matrix product ##AD## produce on its own? Take the trace of the resulting matrix, which happens to be the sum of the two diagonal entries.

How can this help you argue only two terms survive?

1. What is the definition of trace of a particular matrix product?

The trace of a particular matrix product is the sum of the diagonal elements of the resulting matrix when two matrices are multiplied together.

2. How is the trace of a particular matrix product calculated?

The trace of a particular matrix product can be calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements of the matrices and then summing the resulting products.

3. What is the significance of the trace of a particular matrix product?

The trace of a particular matrix product is a useful measure of the similarity between two matrices, and can also provide information about the eigenvalues of the resulting matrix.

4. Can the trace of a particular matrix product be negative?

Yes, the trace of a particular matrix product can be negative if there are negative elements in the resulting matrix when two matrices are multiplied together.

5. Is the trace of a particular matrix product commutative?

No, the trace of a particular matrix product is not commutative, meaning that the order in which the matrices are multiplied can affect the resulting trace value.