1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify Ψ is solution of quantum oscillator using H operator

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    verify that Ψ(x) = ( 1/a√π)½ exp(-(x2/2a2))
    is a solution to the TISE for linear harmonic oscillator. Where a = √(hbar/mw). and V(x) = ½ mw2x2.

2. Relevant equations
    HΨ=EΨ
    E_n = (n+½)hbar*w

3. The attempt at a solution

I've started by differentiating the wave function twice to find http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP2111e793aff6db9408500002d959h09e9180hfg?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=28 [Broken].
    Then when I apply the Hamiltonian operator to the wave function I cant see a way this would cancel down to (n+½)hbar*w. Have I gone about this the right way at all?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think about what [itex] n [/itex] is for that wave function

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3
    pretty sure n=0, ive seen the full version of the wave function i have before and n=0 would make it cancel to what I have now but im still a little lost

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if that is the [itex] n [/itex] for that wave function, then that is the equation you must solve....

6. Feb 20, 2016 #5
    so E should equal 1/2 hbar*w but I cant find a way to make the Schrodinger equation I've written to cancel to that. Maybe I'm not understanding

7. Feb 20, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your complete, final, expression for ##H \psi##, so we can tell if you have made an algebraic error or not. Right now, we cannot say where your problem lies.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Feb 20, 2016 #7
    hey. since I last posted I think i got a solution.
    my expression was
    H = -hbar^2/2m d^2/dx^2 + 1/2 mw^2x^2

I took the second derivative of psi and wrote it as (x^2/a^4 - 1/a^2)*psi and then moved everything onto the left hand side with

hbar^2/2m (x^2/a^4 - 1/a^2)psi + (E-1/2mw^2x^2)psi=0

then collected x^2 terms and constant terms and found

E - hbar^2/2ma^2 = 0
    so substituting a back into the equation it reduced down to (hbar*w)/2

9. Feb 21, 2016 #8
    So I had to do the same problem but this time with

2xe*e^((-x^2)/(2a^2))

This time when I collected terms I ended with only one x^3,x^2,x,constant term each. Am I right in thinking this wave function is not a solution then? To the schroedinger equation and linear harmonic oscillator

10. Feb 21, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, exactly, is your final expression for ##H \psi##? Write out all the details!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted