Harmonic Oscillator violating Heisenberg's Uncertainity

In summary, the second state of the quantum harmonic oscillator violates the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.
Safder Aree

Homework Statement

Does the n = 2 state of a quantum harmonic oscillator violate the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

Homework Equations

$$\sigma_x\sigma_p = \frac{\hbar}{2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I worked out the solution for the second state of the harmonic oscillator.
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\frac{mw}{\pi\hbar})^{1/4}(\frac{1}{\hbar})(e^{\frac{-mwx^2}{2\hbar}}(2mwx^2 - \hbar)$$

Should I be solving for standard deviation of position and momentum? Or is there another way to do this problem. I'm not sure what the next step is. Thank you for the guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Safder Aree said:
Should I be solving for standard deviation of position and momentum?
Yes.

Safder Aree said:
Or is there another way to do this problem.
If you work in terms of creation and annihilation operators you never need to compute the wave function at all.

Orodruin said:
Yes.

If you work in terms of creation and annihilation operators you never need to compute the wave function at all.

You mean by using the following and the momentum operator in terms of creation/annihilation operators?
$$x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2mw}}(a_+ + a_{-})$$

Along with the properly normalised definitions of the energy eigenstates ##|n\rangle##, yes.

Orodruin said:
Along with the properly normalised definitions of the energy eigenstates ##|n\rangle##, yes.

Edit: I figured it out I got standard deviation of x * standard deviation of p = $$2\hbar$$. Which works out.

Safder Aree said:
I just worked through it and after evaluating the limit over all space I getting that the standard deviation of the expectation value of position is 0. Does this make sense?
No, it does not. However, it is impossible to see where you went wrong without seeing your maths.

Likes Safder Aree
Orodruin said:
No, it does not. However, it is impossible to see where you went wrong without seeing your maths.

I realized I messed up the <x^2> calculation. Thank you for your help!

So the challenge is now to generalise the problem to the state ##|n\rangle## and then to an arbitrary linear combination of the ##|n\rangle##.

Orodruin said:
So the challenge is now to generalise the problem to the state ##|n\rangle## and then to an arbitrary linear combination of the ##|n\rangle##.

I was actually working through Griffiths problems just now and I've seen the nth generalization, very cool stuff.

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that oscillates with a constant frequency, such as a pendulum or a vibrating spring. It follows a sinusoidal motion and can be described using harmonic motion equations.

How does a harmonic oscillator violate Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. However, in the case of a harmonic oscillator, the position and momentum are directly related and can be known precisely at any given time. This violates the principle as it suggests that both quantities can be simultaneously known with absolute certainty.

Can a harmonic oscillator be used to disprove Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

No, the violation of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle by a harmonic oscillator does not disprove the principle. The principle applies to all quantum systems, not just harmonic oscillators. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally validated numerous times.

Are there any real-world implications of harmonic oscillators violating Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

No, there are no significant real-world implications of this violation. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle still holds true in all other quantum systems, and the violation by a harmonic oscillator does not affect our understanding or application of quantum mechanics in practical situations.

What other principles or theories does the violation of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle by a harmonic oscillator challenge?

The violation by a harmonic oscillator challenges the concept of determinism, which states that the position and momentum of a particle can be predicted with absolute certainty. It also raises questions about the nature of quantum systems and the limitations of our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.