QM: 1D Potential Well Spring - Energy Levels

In summary, the potential energy of a system with one spring and a turning point is V=infinity. The energy levels are E_n=ħw(n+1/2) where n=1,3,5,7,...
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1D Potential V(x) = mw^2x^2/2, part of a harmonic oscillator.
Suppose that the spring can only be stretched, so that the potential becomes V=infinity for x<0. What are the energy levels of this system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I argued my way though this problem by the following:
We know that V(x) = infinity
V(0) = 0
V(x) = 0 otherwise

From our typical energy levels we know E_n = ħw(n+1/2) for n=0,1,2,3,...

But there is a barrier at x =0. Therefore we need x=0 to have E=0.
Energy levels are thus:
E_n = ħw(n+1/2) with n=1,3,5,7,...

One can see this though the wave function graphs: https://i.stack.imgur.com/rb340.gif

Is that argued properly? Did I find the right solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the boundary conditions at ##x=0## ?

Likes RJLiberator
BvU said:
What are the boundary conditions at ##x=0## ?
I thought it was V(0) = 0. Did I interpret this incorrectly? Since the spring can only be stretched and not compressed?

I mean the conditions imposed on the solution . You want to make a distinction between the independent variable ##x## and the solution ##\ \psi(x) \ ## that has to satisfy a second order equation (##\ {\mathcal H}\psi = E\psi\ ## in your case) plus two boundary conditions.

Likes RJLiberator
I don't want to confuse you, though: your line of thinking is correct; it's just the wording that is unfortunate:
The solution for x < 0 is ##\ \Psi(x) = 0\ ## and at ##\ x=0 \ ## the boundary condition is that the ##\ \Psi \ ## has to be continuous.

The first derivative does not have to be continuous at ##\ x=0 \ ## because the potential function isn't continuous either (I silently hope a theoretician will improve on this somewhat).

At the turning point (Where ##\ V(x) = E\ ##) the situation is different and both ##\ \Psi \ ## and its first derivative have to be continuous.

Likes RJLiberator
@BvU sorry for not getting back to you earlier in this thread -- but your help was spot on. It was a much more basic question then I assumed and I got full credit for it, partially thanks to your guidance.
Cheers.

Likes BvU

1. What is a 1D potential well spring in quantum mechanics?

A 1D potential well spring is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of particles confined to a one-dimensional space, such as a particle in a box. It consists of a region where the potential energy is constant (the well) surrounded by regions where the potential energy is infinite (the walls).

2. How are energy levels determined in a 1D potential well spring?

The energy levels in a 1D potential well spring are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This equation takes into account the potential energy, kinetic energy, and the mass of the particle to determine the allowed energy levels of the particle within the well.

3. What is the significance of the energy levels in a 1D potential well spring?

The energy levels in a 1D potential well spring represent the quantized energy states that a particle can occupy within the well. These energy levels determine the behavior and properties of the particle, such as its momentum and probability of being found at a certain position.

4. How do the energy levels change if the depth of the potential well is altered?

If the depth of the potential well is increased, the energy levels will also increase, resulting in a higher energy state for the particle. Conversely, if the depth is decreased, the energy levels will decrease, resulting in a lower energy state for the particle.

5. What is the relationship between the energy levels and the size of the potential well?

The energy levels in a 1D potential well spring are inversely proportional to the size of the well. This means that as the size of the well decreases, the energy levels increase and vice versa. This relationship is known as the confinement effect and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.