Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: QM: 1D Potential Well Spring - Energy Levels

1. Nov 27, 2017 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1D Potential V(x) = mw^2x^2/2, part of a harmonic oscillator.
    Suppose that the spring can only be stretched, so that the potential becomes V=infinity for x<0. What are the energy levels of this system?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I argued my way though this problem by the following:
    We know that V(x) = infinity
    V(0) = 0
    V(x) = 0 otherwise

From our typical energy levels we know E_n = ħw(n+1/2) for n=0,1,2,3,...

But there is a barrier at x =0. Therefore we need x=0 to have E=0.
    Energy levels are thus:
    E_n = ħw(n+1/2) with n=1,3,5,7,...

One can see this though the wave function graphs: https://i.stack.imgur.com/rb340.gif

Is that argued properly? Did I find the right solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

What are the boundary conditions at ##x=0## ?

4. Nov 27, 2017 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I thought it was V(0) = 0. Did I interpret this incorrectly? Since the spring can only be stretched and not compressed?

5. Nov 27, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I mean the conditions imposed on the solution . You want to make a distinction between the independent variable ##x## and the solution ##\ \psi(x) \ ## that has to satisfy a second order equation (##\ {\mathcal H}\psi = E\psi\ ## in your case) plus two boundary conditions.

6. Nov 27, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I don't want to confuse you, though: your line of thinking is correct; it's just the wording that is unfortunate:
    The solution for x < 0 is ##\ \Psi(x) = 0\ ## and at ##\ x=0 \ ## the boundary condition is that the ##\ \Psi \ ## has to be continuous.

The first derivative does not have to be continuous at ##\ x=0 \ ## because the potential function isn't continuous either (I silently hope a theoretician will improve on this somewhat).

At the turning point (Where ##\ V(x) = E\ ##) the situation is different and both ##\ \Psi \ ## and its first derivative have to be continuous.

7. Dec 4, 2017 #6

RJLiberator

Gold Member

@BvU sorry for not getting back to you earlier in this thread -- but your help was spot on. It was a much more basic question then I assumed and I got full credit for it, partially thanks to your guidance.
    Cheers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted