1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: 1D Potential Well Spring - Energy Levels

1. Nov 27, 2017 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1D Potential V(x) = mw^2x^2/2, part of a harmonic oscillator.
    Suppose that the spring can only be stretched, so that the potential becomes V=infinity for x<0. What are the energy levels of this system?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I argued my way though this problem by the following:
    We know that V(x) = infinity
    V(0) = 0
    V(x) = 0 otherwise

From our typical energy levels we know E_n = ħw(n+1/2) for n=0,1,2,3,...

But there is a barrier at x =0. Therefore we need x=0 to have E=0.
    Energy levels are thus:
    E_n = ħw(n+1/2) with n=1,3,5,7,...

One can see this though the wave function graphs: https://i.stack.imgur.com/rb340.gif

Is that argued properly? Did I find the right solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the boundary conditions at ##x=0## ?

4. Nov 27, 2017 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I thought it was V(0) = 0. Did I interpret this incorrectly? Since the spring can only be stretched and not compressed?

5. Nov 27, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I mean the conditions imposed on the solution . You want to make a distinction between the independent variable ##x## and the solution ##\ \psi(x) \ ## that has to satisfy a second order equation (##\ {\mathcal H}\psi = E\psi\ ## in your case) plus two boundary conditions.

6. Nov 27, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't want to confuse you, though: your line of thinking is correct; it's just the wording that is unfortunate:
    The solution for x < 0 is ##\ \Psi(x) = 0\ ## and at ##\ x=0 \ ## the boundary condition is that the ##\ \Psi \ ## has to be continuous.

The first derivative does not have to be continuous at ##\ x=0 \ ## because the potential function isn't continuous either (I silently hope a theoretician will improve on this somewhat).

At the turning point (Where ##\ V(x) = E\ ##) the situation is different and both ##\ \Psi \ ## and its first derivative have to be continuous.

7. Dec 4, 2017 #6

RJLiberator

Gold Member

@BvU sorry for not getting back to you earlier in this thread -- but your help was spot on. It was a much more basic question then I assumed and I got full credit for it, partially thanks to your guidance.
    Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted