Verify that my contour integral is correct

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral using the method of contour integration. The substitution of z=exp(i\theta) is made, and the quadratic equation in the denominator of the integral is solved to find the pole at z0 = a - √(a2-1). The residue of the pole is then found and the residue theorem is used to obtain the final value of the integral. It is determined that the integral is correct, and further exploration is suggested by setting a=1+δ.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Evaluate [itex]\oint[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{a-cos\theta}[/itex] d[itex]\theta[/itex] from [0:2[itex]\pi[/itex]]

Homework Equations

Method of contour integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I make the substitution z=exp(i[itex]\theta[/itex]) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]
giving me the integral:

[itex]\oint[/itex]1/(a-½(z+z-1)) dz/iz from [0:2[itex]\pi[/itex]]
And rearranging:
2/i [itex]\oint[/itex]1/(-z2+2az-1) dz from [0:2[itex]\pi[/itex]]
The quadratatic equation in the denominator has the roots z0 = a ± √(a2-1). Only the one with negative sign is inside the unit circle for a>1 (actually, how can you know that it will be that for all a>1?) which gives:

Pole at z0 = a - √(a2-1)

So we can write f(z) as:

f(z) = 2i/((z-a + √(a2-1))(z-a - √(a2-1)))

And since it's a simple pole we're dealing with the residue can be found as:

limz->z0{(z-z0)f(z)} = limz->a - √(a2-1){(z-a+√(a2-1) 2i/((z-a + √(a2-1)(z-a - √(a2-1))} = limz->a - √(a2-1){2i/(z-a - √(a2-1)} = 2i/-2√(a2-1) = -i/√(a2-1)

And the residue theorem gives the final value for the integral, I:

I = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/√(a2-1)

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct.

Try writing ##a=1+\delta## and plug that expression into ##a-\sqrt{a^2-1}##. You should be able to see then that the pole will lie inside the unit circle.

1. How do I know if my contour integral is correct?

To verify the correctness of a contour integral, you need to first ensure that the function being integrated is analytic within the contour. Then, you can use the Cauchy-Goursat theorem or Cauchy's integral formula to evaluate the integral. If the result matches the expected value, then your contour integral is correct.

2. Can I use any contour to evaluate my integral?

No, the contour used to evaluate a contour integral must satisfy certain conditions, such as being closed, simple, and smooth. Additionally, the function must be analytic within the contour. It is important to choose the correct contour to get an accurate result.

3. What if my contour intersects with poles or branch points?

If your contour intersects with poles or branch points, the integral may not give the expected result. In such cases, you can use techniques such as Cauchy's residue theorem or the method of branch cuts to handle these singularities and get an accurate result.

4. Is there a way to check my answer without evaluating the integral?

Yes, there are a few ways to check the correctness of your contour integral without actually evaluating it. One method is to use the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, which states that the integral of a function over a closed contour is equal to 0 if the function is analytic within the contour. Another way is to use the Cauchy's integral formula, which relates the values of a function at points inside a contour to the values on the contour itself.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when evaluating a contour integral?

Yes, some common mistakes when evaluating a contour integral include forgetting to account for singularities, using an incorrect contour, or making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to carefully check each step of your calculation and to double check your final result to ensure accuracy.