1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify unsolvable ODE on Midterm

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    Long story short,

Professor was replaced with a replacement professor on the day of the midterm.
    The replacement prof. announces, after 3/4 of the time allowed has passed that the first question might contain a typo. He doesn't suggest how to fix the problem or anything. He just claims there might be a problem with the first question.

Can someone take a look at it?
    This is for Ordinary Differential Equations I

Here is the first question:

Solve the initial value problem:
    y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4 = 0 y (0) = 5; y' (0)=7; y' ' (0)= -5;

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think there is any typo, it seems easily solvable to me; just use the method of undetermined coefficients, you have a fairly simple 3rd degree inhomogeneous ODE.

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4 = 0
    would be come
    y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' = -4

m^3 + m^2 + 4m = 0
    m(m^2 + m + 4) = 0

m1 = 0 and m2 = a complex root

is that right?

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks like a good start for your complimentary solution.What form does that portion of your solution take?

6. Nov 7, 2008 #5
    Hmm...

e^a(c1cos(bx)+c2sin(bx))

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's part of it, what are the values of 'a' and 'b', and what happened to your m1=0 root?

8. Nov 7, 2008 #7
    a would be -1/2 and b sqrt(15)/2

We have never seen the case were m1 and m2 are real and complex.. Where would I go from here?

9. Nov 7, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a real root m1 just adds an c3*e^(m1 x) term, in this case m1=0 and e^0=1, so it adds a constant term and your complimentary solution is:

[tex]y_c(x)=e^{\frac{-x}{2}} \left( c_1 cos \left( \frac{\sqrt{15}}{2} x \right)+c_2 sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{15}}{2} x \right) \right) +c_3[/tex]

Do you follow?

10. Nov 7, 2008 #9
    Yes, I follow... Where would I go from here?

11. Nov 7, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now you need to find a particular solution....Your inhomogeneous term is just '-4'. Suppose you had only a second order ODE, what would you guess as a particular solution there? Can you guess the form of a particular solution for the 3rd order ODE?

12. Nov 7, 2008 #11
    Ok I get it from this point on, however, weve never really had any practice with m1 = 0 and m2 = complex

I wonder why the prof said it was a typo now.. lol..

13. Nov 7, 2008 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

maybe because he thought that the sqrt(15)/2 was a little too ugly for an exam question, but who knows :shrug:

14. Nov 7, 2008 #13
    We weren't allowed calculators.. I don't think that changes much though

15. Nov 7, 2008 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My guess is your replacement prof didn't have his morning coffee, and made an error in his attempt to solve the problem, and couldn't find it so he concluded something might b wrong with the question.

But that's just speculation on my part :smile:

16. Nov 7, 2008 #15

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

He probably looked at y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4 = 0 and thought perhaps it should be
    y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4y = 0 which would be more "standard form" but distinctly harder than the original problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?