1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify whether the following points are optimal solutions to the LP?

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Points (4,4) and (2,0)

Minimise 3x1+6x2
    s.t. 6x1-3x2=12
    x1,x2>=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving this the way LP questions are solved in general, graphically.
    So I drew a graph plotting the objective and the constraint but turns out there aren't enough constrains to have a fixed feasible region?! Either I move the objective along points on the constraint line only. Or there is something completely different required to do here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is wrong. You DO have a feasible region (I do not know what you mean by a "fixed" feasible region). The feasible region in this case happens to be unbounded (that is, contains points (x1,x2) where both x1 and x2 go to +∞) but that does not matter. In this case there is a unique minimizing point (so there are not two optimal points, just one).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook