Vertical acceleration of a yo-yo using moment of inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Cepterus
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A yo-yo consists of two cylinders with radius ##R##, mass ##M## and height ##H## connected by a smaller cylinder of radius ##r##, mass ##m## and height ##h##.
Unbenannt.png

Determine the yo-yo's acceleration in ##z##-direction, using its moment of inertia.

Homework Equations


Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder: ##I=\frac12mr^2##

The Attempt at a Solution


The yo-yo's total moment of inertia is ##I_{\text{tot}}=\frac12mr^2+MR^2##, using the formula for solid cylinders. However, I don't know how to proceed from here.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Free body diagram.
##\sum F = ma##.
##\sum \tau = I \alpha##.
 
Hi Cep,

Could gravitational acceleration appear somewhere ?
 
BvU said:
Could gravitational acceleration appear somewhere ?
I guess so. The acceleration probably consists of both gravitational acceleration downwards and the acceleration upwards caused by the "user" of the yo-yo.
Is that what you mean?
 
Yes. Make a sketch where the driving force acts and how it results in a torque.