Vertical Drop how to find the speed?

In summary, the Tower of Doom at Six Flags America has a height of 42.7m and a free fall distance of 21.6m. Using the equation t = sqrt(2d/g), the time it takes for the riders to fall is 2.10 seconds. The speed of the riders before the magnetic induction braking system starts to slow them down is 10.3 m/s. The acceleration of the riders during this time is 9.81 m/s^2.
ilovemynny

Homework Statement

The Tower of Doom at Six Flags America lifts its riders to a height of 42.7 m, then releases them to free fall for 21.6m. How fast are the riders traveling before the magnetic induction braking system starts to slow them down?

Homework Equations

t = [tex]\sqrt{}2d/g[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

t = (2)(21.6) / 9.81, square root
t = 4.40, square root
t = 2.10 s

21.6m / 2.10s
Speed = 10.3 m/s

I just wanted to see if I actually did this right and if I didn't can someone help me with it?

P.S. when i say ", square root" that means there's a square root in the equation

Physics news on Phys.org
No that is not right. You calculated the average speed. If the riders drop with an acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 for a certain time t, what does that tell you about their acceleration at that time t?

their acceleration at 2.10s x 9.81m/s/s would equal to 20.6m/s/s/s
is it wrong because there are too many seconds?

No, the seconds in the time will cancel one of the seconds in the acceleration. Also, upon further inspection (ok, first inspection :redface: ), you are using the wrong distance. You need to use the actual displacement, 42.7m - 21.6m = 21.1m. Also, just to be a little nit-picky, to 3 significant figures, g = 9.80m/s^2.

oh, wow I thought the displacement would be 21.6 because that's how long the drop down was. Huh, okay so wait should I try the same formula again but with the 21.1m?

If I did use the same formula would it be:
(2)(21.1) / 9.80 square root
t = 2.08 s?

Bah, sorry! I misread the problem! Yes, you're right, 21.6. I thought it said they drop TO 21.6m

omg i actually did do something by myself right >.<
but wait wait is the formula still right to find time?

ilovemynny said:
omg i actually did do something by myself right >.<
but wait wait is the formula still right to find time?

Yes, given an acceleration with no initial velocity and a displacement, d, that is how you find the time required to achieve that displacement.

so then time would equal to 2.1 s
and then
21.6m / 2.10s
Speed = 10.3 m/s

:biggrin: please tell me I'm right :uhh:

No no, you had it right at post #3 except for the minor g = 9.81 or g = 9.80 thing. The velocity is just Velocity = Acceleration * Time for a constant acceleration.

ohhh okay thank you so much! :!):biggrin::!):biggrin:

1. What is vertical drop?

Vertical drop is the distance from the top to the bottom of a ski slope or roller coaster ride. It is often measured in feet or meters.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a vertical drop?

The speed of a vertical drop can be calculated by dividing the vertical drop distance by the time it takes to complete the drop. This will give you the average speed in feet per second or meters per second.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a vertical drop?

The speed of a vertical drop can be affected by several factors, including the steepness of the slope, the weight and aerodynamics of the object or person on the slope, and the presence of any friction or resistance.

4. How does air resistance impact the speed of a vertical drop?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the speed of a vertical drop. This is because the air molecules push against the object or person, creating a force that opposes the motion and slows it down. The higher the speed and surface area of the object, the greater the air resistance and the slower the speed of the drop.

5. Can the speed of a vertical drop be increased?

Yes, the speed of a vertical drop can be increased by reducing air resistance or friction. This can be achieved by making the object or person more aerodynamic, reducing the weight, or using materials that reduce friction. However, it is important to ensure the safety of the drop and follow any restrictions or guidelines set by the ride or slope operator.