(Very Basic) Movement of Charged Particles Through Parallel Plate Apparatus

If you divided the distance between the plates into five equal parts, the potential would change by 250V/5 = 50V in each part, so two-fifths of the way through, the potential would be 50V + 50V = 100V lower than the 250V at the positive plate. In summary, the electric potential two-fifths of the way through a parallel-plate apparatus is 150V, calculated using the equation V = ed where e is the electric field strength and d is the distance between the plates. This is because the potential difference decreases as the distance from the positive plate increases, and at two-fifths of the total distance, the potential has decreased by 100V
012anonymousx

Homework Statement

What is the electric potential two-fifths of the way through a parallel-plate apparatus (from the positive plate) if the plates have a total separation of 5cm and field strength of 5000N/C.

Homework Equations

Difference Potential Energy = Electric Field Strength x Distance
V = ed

The Attempt at a Solution

= 5000 x (0.05 - ((2/5)(0.05))
= 5000 x (0.05-0.02)
= 5000 x (0.03)
= 150

Real answer is 250, so basically the whole distance of 0.05.
I thought that electric potential decreases as the current flows from positive to negative?
That is why, in my solution, I took the two-fifth of the whole distance away.
Edit: Please let me know if my solution as infact correct :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks fine to me. As you say, the total potential difference is 250V, so a correct answer for the potential partway between the plates can't be 250V also.

Related to (Very Basic) Movement of Charged Particles Through Parallel Plate Apparatus

1. How does a parallel plate apparatus work?

The parallel plate apparatus consists of two metal plates that are parallel to each other and connected to a power supply. When a voltage is applied, an electric field is created between the plates. This field causes charged particles to move from one plate to the other, creating a current.

2. What are the factors that affect the movement of charged particles in a parallel plate apparatus?

The movement of charged particles in a parallel plate apparatus is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the plates, and the charge and mass of the particles. Additionally, the presence of any external magnetic fields can also influence the movement of the particles.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the movement of charged particles?

The distance between the plates in a parallel plate apparatus affects the strength of the electric field. The closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field, and the faster the charged particles will move. As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field weakens and the movement of the particles slows down.

4. What happens to the direction of movement of charged particles when the polarity of the plates is reversed?

When the polarity of the plates in a parallel plate apparatus is reversed, the direction of movement of the charged particles also reverses. This is because the electric field between the plates changes direction, causing the particles to move in the opposite direction.

5. How does the movement of charged particles in a parallel plate apparatus relate to real-world applications?

The movement of charged particles in a parallel plate apparatus is a fundamental concept in electricity and magnetism and has various real-world applications. For example, it is used in particle accelerators to accelerate charged particles to high speeds for scientific research. It is also used in capacitors, which are important components in electronic circuits.